Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First timer results are in

1. Back To Top    #1

First timer results are in

Ok. Just received my tf100 kit today and tried some tests. Here are my results.

Ph 7.6
    Fc 1.5
    cc 2.0
    cya <10
    ta 160
    ch 375

water temp is about 70*F

Pretty sure I need to add stabilizer to get it up around 40 but not sure what to do about the cc? Should want to see 0 correct?
    what do the experienced recommend? Thanks!
    3200 gal. 15'x33" above ground vinyl pool. Intex 2100gph sand filter w/ type b adapters for my baby size pool fittings. Filled from city water. TF-100 test kit w/ magnetic stirrer. Used trichlor tabs at the start to get cya up. Just using bbb.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First timer results are in

That 2 CC is worrisome.

Right now, I'd dump enough bleach in to get it to 10 FC. It's cheap insurance.

Then add enough CYA to get to 30.

With luck, since it's a fresh fill and the CC may come from the chloramines some water companies use, the water will be clear and the CC will be zero tomorrow. You might want to boost FC to 10 before you leave for work in the morning. I hesitate to recommend a full-on SLAM since it is new water. A Overnight Chlorine Loss Testwill tell you for sure.

If no SLAM is needed, then you can add more CYA to get to 60 and just maintain things normally. If the water doesn't improve and/or you fail the OCLT, you want the CYA low. Otherwise, 30 CYA is too low for Vegas.

I know, clear as a troublecode flow chart.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I understand what your telling me. I will add 13oz of bleach right now. Should I leave the cover on or off when I shock it? I try to keep the cover on as much as possible to try and keep it clean.
    3200 gal. 15'x33" above ground vinyl pool. Intex 2100gph sand filter w/ type b adapters for my baby size pool fittings. Filled from city water. TF-100 test kit w/ magnetic stirrer. Used trichlor tabs at the start to get cya up. Just using bbb.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by fastereddie View Post
    I think I understand what your telling me. I will add 13oz of bleach right now. Should I leave the cover on or off when I shock it? I try to keep the cover on as much as possible to try and keep it clean.
    Cover off so it can breath. If it was covered all day, that too could account for a CC buildup.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh ok. Should I not use the cover during the swimming season? Are they only for storage/winter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Using the cover is fine. It will prevent evaporation of both heat and water and you will use less chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Got my Intex sand filter hooked up yesterday and wow! What a difference it made. I turned the outlet nozzle towards the bottom of the pool at a slight angle and it swirls this little pool like a toilet. I swear you could watch the water clear up within minutes. I had the fc up to a 10 the night before to get rid of my cc of 2. It was about a fc of 5 and cc less than 1 this morning so I let the kids swim all day. I just retested right now and I think everything is ok.

Ph 7.6
    fc 3
    cc<.5
    cya 30-40
    ta 150
    ch 450
    not sure why my ch went up from first test though.
    should I add some bleach to bring it up to a fc of 5 or leave it at 3 and do a oclt and see if it stays around 3 over night?

8. Back To Top    #8

I would raise the FC.

You could double check in an hour and see where your FC ended up and then do the OCLT with that value.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks, will do!

10. Back To Top    #10

Best of luck!!!