Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spilled R-0870 on kitchen floor, discoloration removal suggestions please

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Spilled R-0870 on kitchen floor, discoloration removal suggestions please

Less than half of my R-0870 fell on the kitchen floor last night. I pulled out the safety sheet but it only said how to deal with skin accidents. It was after business hours, so I just swept it up thoroughly. Looked good. This morning there is discoloration. I called Taylor and for the email of someone that might be able to help. They replied with a wonderful answer that I will probably try when I get home, but I'm open to other suggestions too:

It may be possible to remove the discoloration with a reducing agent, such as the Thiosulfate reagent from the Alkalinity test in your K-2006 (R-0007). Be sure to consult the SDS in order to handle it properly (I've attached it to this email), and place a few drops at a time on the discolored spots and scrub the spots as best as you can. Once you are done with the Thiosulfate, clean the area with soap and water to remove any residual chemical.
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spilled R-0870 on kitchen floor, discoloration removal suggestions please

But you didn't post your floor's FC level.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If Thiosulfate doesn't work, try mashed-up Vitamin C pills paste. It lifted some rust stains off my patio table.

Be sure to post your findings. The question is bound to arise again and I want to know the answer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

What type of flooring do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Propbndr View Post
    But you didn't post your floor's FC level.
    It passed the OCLT. Thank you for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    If Thiosulfate doesn't work, try mashed-up Vitamin C pills paste. It lifted some rust stains off my patio table.
    Perfect backup plan. Thank you.

Be sure to post your findings. The question is bound to arise again and I want to know the answer.
    Will do. Testing soon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    What type of flooring do you have?
    Vinyl
    If I was effective, and your pool makes you smile, please make me smile and CLICK HERE to Become a TFP Supporter!
    Also, please make AmazonSmile donate to TFP by CLICKING HERE, at no cost to you!
    My Florida Pool: 20k IG plaster cart K-2006 | Washington State Pool I help with: 17k AG vinyl sand TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

You can also try a Mr. Clean magic eraser.
    TFP Moderator
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

AND where is our picture??? hummmmmmmm???????

Make sure to tell us what your tried and what it did so we can all learn from it please.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

R-0007 thiosulfate ***might*** have lightened the darkest places, but lighter spots seem to shrug it of. There is no visual interaction when the drops sit on it, who knows while brushing, then after it maybe seems not as bad. No before photos, but after/current photos below.
    Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    You can also try a Mr. Clean magic eraser.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Didn't phase it. Eraser remained clean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    try mashed-up Vitamin C pills paste.
    Thanks, going to store now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    AND where is our picture??? hummmmmmmm??????
    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

- - - Updated - - -

Also getting harder bristle brush to try thiosulfate again

9. Back To Top    #9

No need to worry about CH with vinyl.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Didn't make it to store, will get tomorrow and update. Any other additions to shipping list of potential remedies welcome.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is so weird looking! Does it feel different?

Okay just throwing ideas out there. Use are your own risk!! IF you try any of them I would test on a out of sight place first.

CLR-cleans everything else so......

Bleach gel pen

Go-jo hand cleaner-it cleans my husband hands when they are almost black

Simple green-cleans SO much

Like I said I am just throwing ideas out there to see what sticks!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, maybe a little chlorine would bleach it out. You could get some gloves and mix up a 1ppm solution and try that. Maybe soak a paper towel in the bleach and let it sit on the stain a few minutes.
    TFP Moderator
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Great suggestions!! It feels the same, but my eyes try very hard to make it feel different

14. Back To Top    #14

Is the floor waxed by any chance? If so, maybe a wax stripper?
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Was not waxed unfortunately. I tried the thiosulfate a couple times with no immediate results. Soap and water clean after. Homeowners tried straight bleach later that day. No change visible either. Next day it looked better. Who knows. Sorry we didn't get a formal suggestion out of this one.

16. Back To Top    #16

Very sorry to hear what a pain this one is/was for you. Sounds like it would be a good tip to add to the Extended Test Kit directions here, so maybe someone down the track might avoid the problem. Bummer.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

17. Back To Top    #17

Chem Geek may know what to do if he is still around.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

18. Back To Top    #18

Vitamin C soaked sock cleans the bits of black staining from the inside of the chlorine only sample container if that hasn't been tried yet
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears