Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help Needed Please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help Needed Please

Hi

I have a 10,000 gallon SWG pool. I have just started reading the recommended water chemistry on TFP and need some advice.

Pool is not crystal clear in the deep end. I am starting to get the FC level up and have <0.2 CC. Should I just shock the pool with some bleach?

Latest water tests performed with K-2006

Salt 3000
    PH7.6
    FC 3.0
    CC<.2
    CYA 60
    TA 120
    CH 150

Thanks

Stuart
    Stuart
    10k IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Hayward SP2603VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward S220T Sand filter
    Dolphin Cleaner, K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help Needed Please

Welcome!
    If the pool is not crystal clear, you need to SLAM the pool: Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    In the future, you can use a 10ml sample for your FC and CC tests and divide the drops by two (multiplier is 0.5).

3. Back To Top    #3

Point a retun jet down in the deep end if you can and continue to circulate. Filters clean?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Stuart, are you brushing at least weekly? Perhaps you have poor circulation in the deep end and it needs to be stirred up a bit.

Another idea is to perform an OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) to determine if there is anything growing in there. You can find the directions in Pool School up at the top of this website

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

We don't shock pools here. We SLAMSLAM them. But yes, you probably should. And that also includes brushing the walls and cleaning out behind lights and inside and beneath ladders and steps, as equipped. See if you can improve circulation down low as well. Maybe angle a return jet down or open the main drain to get a little water flowing through that.

Marian is right - a 10 ml sample is precise enough for most purposes and saves reagents. You can also cut back on the amount of powder you use. After mixing, you should see one or two undissolved grains. If you do, you've got enough.

The SLAM may take a couple days, because you have to pass the three tests at the same time, and when we say clear, we mean even after brushing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I use the dolphin every other day and brush the difficult areas of the pool.

My TA is also high according to the TFP chemistry for SWG pools. What is the best way to aerate my pool?

Should I take care of the TA first or do the SLAM (not shock!).
    Stuart
    10k IG Vinyl Pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Hayward SP2603VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward S220T Sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

SLAM first. Have you seen the directions for it in Pool School?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks, heading to get some bleach now. I will then read the link on pool school to slam it.
    Stuart

9. Back To Top    #9

Oh nice! A fast learner! This will be an easy one to turn around!

Take a pic each day to be able to see the changes as they happen.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit