Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hose Creating Foamy Water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hose Creating Foamy Water?

Hi TFP,

I posted this earlier but I'm out of ideas and feeling very frustrated and I'm hoping for some advice.

I'm getting foam when my water is agitated. My CYA was high so I drained half the water and refilled and got it back down to manageable levels. But the foam remained. I opened the pool May 1 so any algaecide should have dissipated by now. My chemicals are good, CL 5, PH 7.6, CYA 60. The water is very clear. Yet the foam problem remains. So I was cleaning off my table and noticed that when I first turned on my garden hose, I see foam. This was the same hose I used to fill the pool. This is a new hose. I read an article that some garden hoses leach chemicals. Could this be the problem?!?!?! If it is, the only solution would be to drain the entire pool and refill it with fresh water? I am out of ideas and want the water to be safe as my kids swim in it and summer is well on it's way. Please help.

Robert
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hose Creating Foamy Water?

I'll let the true experts work out other possibilities, and I have no clue on the hose, but have you checked your CH? I have a vinyl pool so rarely worry, but if it gets too low I see some foaming. Sometimes mysteriously, other times from known causes like a grandson with an electric bubble machine. Obviously the bubbles would be expected to foam, but is much worse if my CH was way low. However, it's when WAY low, like under 70, when I noticed any difference.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

You don't mention your calcium level? How are you testing and which kit?

Can you please give us the most current:

FC
    CC
    pH
    TA
    Ch
    CYA

Thanks
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

You didn't happen to accidentally grab some splashless bleach by mistake, did you? From what I read here, it's almost as good as Mister Bubble.

Low CH will also cause foaming. I would have never believed it until one of our rare rainstorms refilled my spa for me. And it didn't just bubble, it foamed. Until it got diluted with my high CH pool water.

Hoses will leach chemicals. Anyone who's ever drank from a cheap garden hose as a kid will attest to that. And there;s a reason they sell special water hoses for RVs. But I don't think they foam, just taste awful.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Taylor T50 Kit.

FC 5
    CC ? <-- I ran out of 087 powder
    pH 7.6
    TA 180 (I know this is high but I'm going to have it retested at store. I get new testing reagents every year but I want to make sure my ones for TA are ok).
    Ch 300
    CYA 50-60

The only other thing I can think of is algae but algaecide was added.
    Gunite. 14,869 Gallons. Hayward cartridge filter. Hayward Super Pump 1HP. Chlorine.
    Baltimore, MD

6. Back To Top    #6

sorry, repeated post.
    Baltimore, MD

7. Back To Top    #7

Algaecide might be the problem
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Do you mean algae? As in I have it in there despite the algaecide?
    Baltimore, MD

9. Back To Top    #9

yes, some algaecides can cause foaming or cloudy water. The cure to most of these problems if more bleach.

10. Back To Top    #10

CH of 300 eliminates that as the foam source, generally CH above 130-150 eliminates foaming. I think I would SLAM the pool for a few days and see what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Is there a way to perform a SLAM without a FAS-DPD kit?
    Baltimore, MD