Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No! No! No! Worms!

1. Back To Top    #1

Question No! No! No! Worms!

We just opened pool. It was so easy last year, pool was clear as we closed it when we opened. We figured this would be quick and easy. Nope.

The water is technically clear if you scoop a cup of it. There was red stuff on top of the cover as we syphoned off some water. I noticed an earthy smell. Got the cover off and looks like red stuff and dirt all on bottom of pool. No clue how this got on our cover or in our pool. My husband said he saw tiny worms. I was just going around brushing the sides of the pool and pushing the bottom dirt and red stuff towards the center. Is there something specific I need???? I didn't see a lot of worms in the pool, but I saw a few, so I'm sure there are some down in there.

Please help!!
    MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP ~ TF-100 Test Kit
    Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP ~ AquaView 20" Sand Filter ~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No! No! No! Worms!

If you have a way to vacuum to waste you want to do that. You want as much of the muck out of the pool as possible before you bother trying to get the chemicals right.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

image.jpg

Why would this happen? Did I do something wrong?

It was almost like it stained my skin.
    MermaidMama

4. Back To Top    #4

If you vacuum to waste and bypass your skimmer basket, be sure to empty your pump strainer basket when you finish. Enough worms and leaves will block it up and could burn out your pump.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks!! Ran filter all night. All the dirt and muck is in the middle now. Going to vacuum that up to waste. Then will just run vacuum a couple hours on its own. Water looked better now that it was all in the middle. Just a little cloudy.
    MermaidMama