Time Vampire, my username and my name for my pool

May 25, 2016
Clay, NY
Hello everyone. I have been a pool-owner (inherited when I bought the house) for 8 years now. I basically had to teach myself everything and used the advice of friends and neighbors. The advice ranged from "You need to test everything and do what the pool store tells you" to "Throw loads of bleach and chlorine in it and just keep an eye on the ph and chlorine, nothing else matters." Needless to say, most of the "helpful" advice was anything but. As my sig states, the pool is in direct sunlight almost all day and algae has been a never-ending "time vampire" for 8 years. Last year was brutal and I actually got to the point of shutting it down a couple weeks earlier than usual because I was physically, emotionally, and financially defeated by the thing at that point. I just stumbled across this site today and am going to try slamming it this weekend and going with the TPFC method. I will be stopping tonight for some supplies and plan to get going Friday morning. I will keep you posted in the appropriate sections of the forum. Wish me luck and thanks in advance for the help I will likely need!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

My first suggestion is not to stop at pool store. Their only response it to sell you something you probably don't need. You will need bleach, quite a bit of it. WalMart or Dollar General are my go to places fro that. Don't bother buying anything else until you get your test kit and prove you need something.

If you closed it green, I'm guessing it's still green I will tell you, it didn't turn green overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that was for a lot less money than the pool store.

Don't bother having the pool store test your water. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

If the pump is installed and running for the season add one bottle (121oz 8.25%) concentrated bleach to the pool each day until you get your test kit. The pump should run at least 30 minutes to an hour after adding to mix well.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework assignment. Start with Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis. After that read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School. Once you get your test kit that is the procedure you need to follow.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

So again, welcome to TFP!!

Yeah, I don't like the pool stores either. I will be stopping there today just to get some equipment, but will not be asking for any chemical advice. I will then venture on over to Walmart for some bleach, Borax, and baking soda just so I have everything on hand. I will also get some stabilizer somewhere. I am going to see what the pool store has for test kits, but if they don't have what I need I will go with your suggestion.

I have actually read ALOT of Pool School which is why I want to give this a shot. I am also going to deep clean my filter since I have not done anything like that for the 8 years I have been there.

I do not have the pump hooked up yet. Again, plan to do that this weekend. I have already added 5 gallons of bleach, mixing with an oar. Of course I did that before I found this site so I am sure that wasn't the best thing to do. It did get the pool from deep green to a milky whitish, so I guess it did some good.

Thanks for the advice! I am actually looking forward to pool season now instead of dreading another year of frustration.

Great! Oh, Wal-Mart should have the stabilizer in their pool section (HTH brand) for about $16 for a 4-lb container. Pool stores will have some test kits, but typically do not have the FAS-DPD portion that you need to accurate (high) FC level testing. This is what I'm referring to: TFTestkits.net. Just checkout their prices and compare it to what the TF-100 does (with Taylor reagents in it) and you'll see the TF-100 is the better value. Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Please don't bother buying the borax or baking soda until you test and see you need it. This is the reason we are trying to get away from the BBB moniker, people feel they need to stock up on all three. Some pools never need borax or baking soda, why have it if you will never need it?