Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Coleman vs. Intex?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    drtyimu
    Posts
    13

    Coleman vs. Intex?

    I am going to replace my current pool with a 18 x 48. I'm looking at the Coleman Power Steel and the Intex Ultra Frame. I can pick up the Coleman as soon as I need it a Wal Mart for $384 and the only place I can find the Intex Ultra Frame is at one online store for $449 (free shipping but may take up to 14 days to get it here.) It looks like Intex discontinued the 18x48 Ultra Frame, it's hard to find anywhere.

    So my question is which should I choose? Never had a Coleman before, so don't know much about them. Any advice would be great.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Larryh86GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    82

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I bought my Coleman 16' X48" Power Steel pool a year ago and am impressed with the quality of it. Even it's 1500 gph pump seemed to be sufficient. I left it up over our winter and although I have not opened it yet it seems to have survived without any problems.
    Larry
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

  3. Back To Top    #3
    AmyMrsR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Posts
    113

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I bought our Intex Ultra Frame last year at the beginning of the season 18x48. (It has the dual suction intakes.) I havent seen a Coleman in person but have heard good things. Ive had no issues with our Intex or it staying up for the winter and have really liked it (this is our second Intex AGP). I did find that Walmart dropped the prices on the Intex around Memorial day to boost sales when I bought mine..look again this weekend and especially next week. They will ship to the store for free I think. I guess its a parts availability/price decision?
    Hi Larry
    18'x48" Intex 14" Intex sand filter est. 7100 gallons- Winterized 2015-16 with success! added Skimmer 2016.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    drtyimu
    Posts
    13

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMrsR View Post
    I bought our Intex Ultra Frame last year at the beginning of the season 18x48. (It has the dual suction intakes.) I havent seen a Coleman in person but have heard good things. Ive had no issues with our Intex or it staying up for the winter and have really liked it (this is our second Intex AGP). I did find that Walmart dropped the prices on the Intex around Memorial day to boost sales when I bought mine..look again this weekend and especially next week. They will ship to the store for free I think. I guess its a parts availability/price decision?
    Hi Larry
    Wal-Mart no longer carries the 18 x 48 Ultra Frame. It says out of stock on their website. I even went to the Intex website and it is also not available there. So I will probably have to go with the Coleman.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    AmyMrsR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Posts
    113

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I looked after posting... Found it on an obscure site and more $$. The 52" is available but if you want the shorter pool looks like it will have to be. I wonder why? Still, have heard good things at least

    18'x48" Intex 14" Intex sand filter est. 7100 gallons- Winterized 2015-16 with success! added Skimmer 2016.

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Blake1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    118

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    From what I noticed, Coleman is relatively new to the pool business. Looks like they use generic cartridge filters and inlets. I'm sure you could rig an Intex sand filter onto one if you chose the Coleman of you wanted a more efficient pump/filter.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    28

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I bought the Coleman 18/48, been up for two weeks. Love it. Heard it's made by Intex anyways


    18/48 Coleman above ground. Intex sand pump and Intex saltwater system

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    drtyimu
    Posts
    13

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jkeo View Post
    I bought the Coleman 18/48, been up for two weeks. Love it. Heard it's made by Intex anyways


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Looks like it's gonna be a Coleman. Do you know if Intex parts work on it. I have some good Intex fittings upgrades I already have and was hoping to use them on the Coleman.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Blake1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    118

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I'm not 100% sure if they are cross compatible, but I'm sure you could retrofit the hoses to fit into the inlets.
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School

  10. Back To Top    #10
    AmyMrsR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Posts
    113

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I don't know how to connect to the thread but I had helped someone with intex modifications that might generically help.

    18'x48" Intex 14" Intex sand filter est. 7100 gallons- Winterized 2015-16 with success! added Skimmer 2016.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Bought a Coleman 16 x48 last year. It started leaking after 2 week. Never found the leak. Coleman wanted me to cut out the drain with the serial and send it to them for a replacement. I left it as is topping the pool off weekly. 3 months later, the pump went out. We decided to thrash it after this. I just bought a new Intex 18'x52 so it will be interesting to see if this one holds out better.

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Larryh86GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    82

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Quote Originally Posted by AmyMrsR View Post
    Hi Larry
    Hi there. I still have my winter cover on the pool but I'm getting close to opening it soon. I have spent the last week building a 8' x 6' deck for it which is looking pretty good. Today is going to be spent building the steps and finishing it.
    Larry
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

  13. Back To Top    #13
    AmyMrsR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Posts
    113

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    That's what I want to do too, would love to see pics! My cover is off and levels are good. Just waiting for it to be warmer. Searching for a new solar cover..

    18'x48" Intex 14" Intex sand filter est. 7100 gallons- Winterized 2015-16 with success! added Skimmer 2016.

  14. Back To Top    #14
    Larryh86GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    82

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    It hit 90 degrees here today so I postponed working on the stairs. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow. I will post a deck thread with some pictures when I get er done.
    Coleman 16' x 48" power steel pool.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Wichita KS
    Posts
    29

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    I put up a new Coleman 18X48 about 3 weeks ago and it's been great. No issues at all. But I didn't use the filter that came with it. I purchased an Intex sand filter and separate Intex SWG. And yes the Intex and Coleman fittings are the same. Honestly looking at the Intex and Coleman parts I can't tell the difference.


    Coleman 18'x48' AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH
    Intex SWG
    **Under Construction** :)

  16. Back To Top    #16
    andyrob2215's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Portage, Indiana
    Posts
    127

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo View Post
    I am going to replace my current pool with a 18 x 48. I'm looking at the Coleman Power Steel and the Intex Ultra Frame. I can pick up the Coleman as soon as I need it a Wal Mart for $384 and the only place I can find the Intex Ultra Frame is at one online store for $449 (free shipping but may take up to 14 days to get it here.) It looks like Intex discontinued the 18x48 Ultra Frame, it's hard to find anywhere.

    So my question is which should I choose? Never had a Coleman before, so don't know much about them. Any advice would be great.
    There's a 20x48 ultra frame on sale for 499.99 at meijer not sure where you live if you have a meijer nearby.
    21'x52 AGP 11200 Gal
    TFPC Method

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    drtyimu
    Posts
    13

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Would anyone be able to post pictures of the intake/outake hoses on their 18x 48 Coleman pool. Just finished setting mine up, but not sure I did it properly. There was no DVD included with the pool and the YouTube video posted on the Coleman website is outdated. Mine has the two inlet hoses which I spliced together, but not sue I did it right. Also have no idea how to use my old skimmer with the new Coleman. Any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    28

    Re: Coleman vs. Intex?

    Quote Originally Posted by cozzmo View Post
    Looks like it's gonna be a Coleman. Do you know if Intex parts work on it. I have some good Intex fittings upgrades I already have and was hoping to use them on the Coleman.
    They'll work


    18/48 Coleman above ground. Intex sand pump and Intex saltwater system

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •