Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do you think of this calcium chloride?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do you think of this calcium chloride?

I found this source for a 50 lb bag of calcium chloride de-icing pellets. The label says it is 94-97%. With shipping the cost is less than $1/lb, the best I have found. Does it look safe for pools? Do I need to worry about what else might be in it? Just wanted opinions before I ordered. Thanks!

Excel Calcium Chloride Ice Melter | GEMPLER'S
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do you think of this calcium chloride?

I considered that for mine, but got nervous about the "other stuff" in there. If you can catch it on sale, you can usually get the hardness plus products from Leslie's or other pool stores for the same price, about $1 per pound. In fact, I recently got mine for under $1 per pound by simply asking for a discount, and that was from Leslie's!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I considered that for mine, but got nervous about the "other stuff" in there. If you can catch it on sale, you can usually get the hardness plus products from Leslie's or other pool stores for the same price, about $1 per pound. In fact, I recently got mine for under $1 per pound by simply asking for a discount, and that was from Leslie's!
    Thank you! Maybe I will try that at my local Leslies. It can't hurt!

I found this same product on Amazon in a bucket (seems preferable to the bag for sealing purposes) but about $1.10/lb with shipping. Someone listed the chemical contents in the questions section. Does the "other stuff" look especially problematic so I should forego this product altogether?

"The MSDS shows CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
    Specification, Typical
    Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) % 94 MIN, 94.0
    Alkali Chlorides (as NaCl) % 5 MAX, 4.0
    Magnesium (as MgCl2) % 0.02 MAX, 0.01
    Other impurities (except moisture) % 0.20 MAX, 0.10"
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

This is what I used...same thing different brand. I was buying other stuff to get me over $50 for free shipping. No ill effects noted.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snow-Joe-M...ingMethod=p13n
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    This is what I used...same thing different brand. I was buying other stuff to get me over $50 for free shipping. No ill effects noted.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Snow-Joe-M...ingMethod=p13n
    Perfect! Thank you. I'm sure I can find enough else to buy to get the free shipping.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's on clearance at Home Depot 50# for $13.90. I got this in the 25# bag, and it has a small amount of dolomite (CaCO3/MgCO3) for traction. It will eventually dissolve, or be vacuumed up.

Snow Joe 50 lb. Re-Sealable Bag Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter-MELT50CC - The Home Depot

The NaCl (table salt) is what bleach and muriatic acid eventually leave in the water, so not a problem.
    12,000 gal concrete IG, Sta-Rite MaxEGlas 3/4 HP pump (230v 8A) Sta Rite System 3 Filter, Hayward Ultra crawler.
    10% Bleach bottles on bottom of pool. AquaChek 7 Strips, Clorox SmartStrips, Bakersfield City water.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by VWFeature View Post
    It's on clearance at Home Depot 50# for $13.90. I got this in the 25# bag, and it has a small amount of dolomite (CaCO3/MgCO3) for traction. It will eventually dissolve, or be vacuumed up.

Snow Joe 50 lb. Re-Sealable Bag Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter-MELT50CC - The Home Depot

The NaCl (table salt) is what bleach and muriatic acid eventually leave in the water, so not a problem.

Thanks... It's helpful to have multiple options.