5 boys and a grain bin...new AGP build DIY

Wasp---building a boat is impressive! Thanks for the reminder that it has happened in 3 months. I needed that. I started dreaming about finding a new pool to replace our broken Intex in January, and then I promptly shattered my wrist while roller skating. In the following months of therapy and fruitless internet shopping, I got impatient. Can't say it wouldn't have been nice to be done mid-summer (my husband predicted it would take this long, at which I was offended :) ), but I have a lot to be thankful for instead of griping. And your phrase made me laugh and sounded curiously familiar, so I googled it. "You've come a long way, baby" was the advertising slogan for Virginia Slims cigarettes marketed to young professional women, and it just happened to launch in the year I was born. So I'm taking it as my theme for this summer...thanks!

Jaimee---your encouragement came at the perfect time, when I was pretty overwhelmed. Especially from one mom to another, I appreciated it. Sorry it took you a year, but really glad you got yours too!

Banditig---thanks for the info about pipe insulation. Can't find a bulk lot of noodles in the size I want in a color that I like, so I will check into this. I learn so much here.

PAGirl---thanks for mentioning that you put your sand inside the steps too like Kim. I assume in PA you have to winterize (or take down?), so do you happen to leave yours in the pool or store inside for the cold months? Am guessing Kim has warmer winters than you or I do.

Needsajet---I really am TOTALLY not handy...I'm just good at begging for help! The one big wrinkle we had/have is in the skimmer, and the picture below, if it will attach, shows exactly what a chicken I am. IMG_20160820_1344216_rewind (496x640).jpg
Post-liner installation, when I was trying to install the skimmer and cut the liner, we had to pause and peel back the liner and foam insulation to add a couple of holes to the steel adaptor plate my brother had made. I wasn't about to try my luck with a drill in that critical moment...the only thing I have ever drilled in my life is holes in the bottom of plastic flower pots...so I made my 14yo do it (on the true-but-convenient excuse that I have no hand/wrist strength after multiple hand surgeries). I stood in the water, having draped the hole and liner with towels and tape to catch shavings. He leaned into that thick wall with all his strength and saved the day!! Yay for sons! We still have to diagnose and attempt a repair at the current leak we have under the skimmer, but that is another day's problem. Tomorrow, we have a Moms-Only swim in the afternoon and a big group of teens coming at night. Let the parties begin! :)

ALL of you TFP folks who have commented on this thread---I really appreciate the many suggestions and especially the cheering here lately!! My family, as you can imagine, is tired. :) The oldest 2 kids are back to college. The hubby, a college president, is totally absent the past few weeks (and no, he hasn't had a chance to get in the pool yet or even seen it in daylight, I think...next week, I hope). The younger ones are so "over" the work aspect of the project and think surely we are done. :) The swimming is great, and they are grateful, but they don't care much about the extra details. Mostly, they are ready to have Mom be a mom again who cooks or does laundry instead of bossing everyone around in the yard all day, ha ha. :) So I see a long list of things yet to be done, a very short window of time to do it, and a long list of stuff that went un-done all summer while we did this. And they see a big blue temptation. :) We all desire to share it with others while we have the chance (our family motto is "when we have good things, we share them"), but we're all running out of adrenaline. So I just want to say, in my long-winded way, that seeing your names and locations pop up on my screen has really been nothing short of amazing and a very nice boost to our sagging spirits. I am not on social media. The only other time I joined a forum of any kind was three years ago while fighting a rare cancer. My kids talked about those "cancer friends" during that season and came to appreciate the knowledge and help we exchanged with each other. So I have told the kids about my pool friends' nice words and help this summer, and we are ALL thankful to you for chiming in and spurring us onward.

Katie, You and your family have done a great thing with this pool, it has turned out very well done and you all will have these memories for life.. I am happy just being a little part of it :)

PS: I left my stairs in all winter but I did not get much ice (about 1/4 inch this last winter) I am probably leaving it in this winter again :)

I did blow out the lines with a shop vac and winterized just like an in ground pool :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
YippeeSkippy, I have about $3000 invested in the pool and equipment (not counting things I would have used regardless of which AGP we chose...like blocks, sand, steps, ladder, vacuum, solar blanket, plumbing and electrical supplies and labor, landscaping, storage, chlorine, etc). I also bought about 15 rolls of duct and gorilla tape! :)

My pool "shell" costs were:
bin sheets and bolts and rubber top edge cover--free
5 gallon bucket of tar--$46.08 (plus a gallon of gasoline to clean messy boys!)
floor tarp--free
250' rolled wall insulation--$148.50
36' expandable 20 gauge blue liner--$641
29 black omega coping strips--$144.71

My equipment costs were:
Pentair VS Superflo--$800
2 inground inlets--$37.98
1 inground skimmer--$141.99
Pentair TA100D Tagelus 600lb filter--$821.89
whole-house surge protector--$116.10
I paid more than online prices for some of this because of the local help and advice I received in small businesses.

Ray/Pool guy in CT...sorry, I can't answer anything electrical...I hired it out because I don't speak the language. :)

More pictures from the Hillbilly Swimming Hole Project...this post has work being done or needing to be done:

This one shows the dirt berm surrounding the rock, and I still haven't placed the black plastic divider between them, because I can't make up my mind what I want.
Z work 1 to do dirt and rock rings.jpg

This one shows the back/west/future deck side of the pool and where I stopped using the river rock and started using the pea gravel that I reclaimed from a sitting area behind the house. I have a lot more I want to move and spread here under the deck when we are ready to proceed.
Z work 2 back side of pool.jpg

This one is standing behind the house looking toward where previous picture was taken. The white PVC pipe on the ground is marking out the area where I have in mind to put the deck.
Z work 3 future deck area.jpg

Here are the boys watching my brother work on the backhoe, discovering that the starter went out (giving me a break from moving loads of rock for a week or two).
Z work 4 five boys fixing a backhoe.jpg

And since the backhoe fixing was unsuccessful, which meant no bucket jumping, my fun brother proceeded to help the boys get our old zip line in approved condition. Luckily, my very giant nephew was present to help hold the ladder. We had said no more ziplining into this pool, but when the fun uncle arrives to get it in shape, who can resist?
Z work 5 four boys fixing a ladder.jpg

This post has pictures of the current set-up without a deck:

This photo shows the approach to the pool from the back of the house. Still using tarp and astro tuft to decrease the mud tracking. Added lines of chairs to collect guest towels and phones.
Z set up 1 no deck this year.jpg

This is closer up of the pallet "deck" showing a vinyl/resin screen I got from Home Depot to keep traffic out of the filter and pump area. It's not perfect, but better than looking at a hodge podge of pipes and ugly equipment. The small blue "kiddie pool" to the right is literally a livestock watering tank I bought from an ag supply store 17 years ago when we moved here to give my then-5 and 3yo kids a better pool than the little plastic purple ones from Walmart. It has survived hundreds of kids and is still going strong. At our last party, I realized I am glad I kept it to have something for the small fries who aren't ready for our Metal-terranean Sea yet.
Z set up 2 makeshift deck and old pool.jpg

This one shows the back side of the far west end of the house. The master bedroom has a door which opens out to that pea gravel and leads straight to the pool. Since the pea gravel is sharp on bare feet and tracks too easily into the pool, I barricaded it for now with a small seating area. I'm especially pleased with the re-purposing of my old Intex steel posts as tiki torch holders (see the one in the flower bed?) that don't blow over easily. On the left edge of the photo is a mass of concrete reclaimed from steps demolished in a previous remodel which we lovingly refer to as "The Timeout Rock," where all tormenting brothers get sent for resting time after too much rough-housing. It will get used somehow in the future deck configuration.
Z set up 3 pea gravel area.jpg

This is the area adjoining the previous picture, which is right behind my laundry room and where I got all the pea gravel for the west side of the pool. The boys just finished putting river rock here a few days ago. We moved the baskets of pool toys here and hung some solar lights. Incidentally, I am SO GLAD I did NOT decide to put the pump and filter here, where I first considered placing them. They really are much handier next to the pool (albeit too visible). I actually wish I could reach the pump from inside the water when I'm vacuuming by myself. :)
Z set up 4 toys instead of pump space.jpg

And this one shows my porch finally recovering from its summer of construction messes. I scored a free set of shelves (on the right) and decided it could hold my entertaining and pool supplies, thus the move of kid toys to the rock area. Was glad to evict their messes off my sitting space. :) Put more Intex steel posts along the porch for short tiki torches.
Z set up 5 reclaiming the construction messes.jpg

And last but not least, pictures of WATER...the best part of all:

This one shows my 3 girls, aka The Mermaid Sisters, enjoying the water without any rowdy brothers one day.
Z water 1 Mermaid Sisters.jpg

This one is just because it's pretty...I really love swimming.
Z water 2 pretty water.jpg

This one is at dusk the first evening I planted tiki torches in the Intex posts all around the pool and decided that was a great idea. This one is taken from upstairs again...from here you can see that the proposed deck would be on the far right. I want the steps and locking gate on the house side under the trees, but the fire pit is in the far back corner of yard...not sure if I want an extra set of steps leading off that way too or not. Maybe that's a money decision down the road.
Z water 4 dusk tikis.jpg

And this one is the same thing at night.
Z water 5 night time tikis.jpg

Future post with test results and water questions...but first, another party tonight!

Attachments

• Z water 3 from above.jpg
    Z water 3 from above.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 371

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.