After 2 months of failing to find anyone to install an oval with deep end, I am now building a DIY from-scratch 36'x52" round AGP from free grain bin rings. It's me (an unhandy mom) and 5 boys ages 11-14. Should be fun.
My sons are using a laser level to sink a ring of pavers into the ground by hand. The wall will sit on this ring without any bottom track like a commercial kit has. I'm probably going to put a foot of gravel and maybe a drain around the outside of wall, because our yard is flat with poor drainage. In the future, I would love to add solar heat or SWG. Next summer, I hope to have a jumping/lounging deck on one side with storage underneath. But in the short-term, I just want to get it up and running before July.
I am looking for information on a variety of next steps:
1) WALL FOUNDATION AND INTERIOR LEVELING: We "cut down" the high spots about 4" to get the ring of pavers level with the low spots. Rather than shave down the entire center of the circle, can I "build up" the interior level with the sand layer? I'm going to dig a deep section, but is there a reason I have to shave and level the rest of the floor with such a minimal slop? Seems like adding extra sand in the lower spots would be a lot simpler, but I don't want to do something stupid I will regret.
2) PUMP SIZE: For a 30k-32k gallon pool, do I need a higher speed pump or 1.5 hp is plenty? Is there a relevant article here to read?
3) EQUIPMENT PLACEMENT: I want to explore putting the pump and filter near my house (30' away?) instead of next to the pool. Does anyone have advice or suggestions of what I should read here?
4) FILTER AND PUMP SELECTION: I gather that Hayward is well regarded. I know that I need the biggest sand filter I can buy. I don't know if it is important to have them be the same brand, in a combo unit or separate, whether some kinds work better with timers and The Liquidator (we travel a lot, and since I can't do SWG just yet, I think this might be a good investment for us). Any and all advice appreciated, or tips on relevant threads to read.
5) ADAPTING TO THIS KIND OF WALL: The bin sheets will be bolted from the inside out. I will duct tape the bolt heads and the seams. I am trying to find some kind of roll of cushioning for the inside of the wall before adding the liner (styrofoam? bubble wrap? foil-wrapped insulation?). The liner will be an overlap. There is a rubber-type split-tube for grain bins that I can get free and can place over the edge of the wall UNDER the liner. Or I have also heard I can buy some kind of "capping" in 4' lengths from a pool store to put OVER the liner. (I don't know if the first kind of tubing would also work over the liner.) Does anyone know anything about buying just the top-ledge pieces and installing them on a wall that didn't come in a kit? I am trying to envision whether I care about having an actual ledge, or if just a safe top edge is all I need.