La Porte/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We had our gunite shot over the past weekend and after going into the pool - we realized that the depth is off. It was suppose to be 3.5/5/4. We went out and measured after seeing a huge dropoff in the 3.5 end and they were off by almost 6 inches! So they fixed that. Later on, as they were finishing the 4ft section, it started to storm- so they rushed to finish. My husband asked if they would be coming back and the guy said he would call our contractor and they took off! Well the 4ft section is off by a few inches and the spa seating level is off a few inches, as well.
My question is - are we stuck with what we have or is it possible to shave off a few inches in some of the very uneven spots?

Thank you in advance
Tanya ~

Yes/ the measurements were on our contract and the blueprints the contractor had. I'm 4'11 and my husband is 6'2. We spoke in depth with the contractor about where we wanted the water to hit us. Most of the pool is fine- it's a few areas that we felt they didn't finish correctly because of trying to hurry.

Welcome to TFP!

I feel it's going to be a matter of being within tolerance and/or not being worth the potential issues (rebar being exposed - subject to rusting, gunite being thinner than it should be, etc.) Though I'm sure it is frustrating and certainly worth pushing them to see their reply and proposed solutions/options.

We double checked after the rebar was put in and the dimensions were accurate. The gunite is correct and 4ft at the end, then makes a slight raised hump, then drops back down. I just wanted to see if some sanding was even a possibility - before we ask the contractor. We are meeting with the contractor this afternoon to pick out tile, etc.

I have no advice to offer, but it does make me think of my brother-in-law the concrete mason. My mother once complained about how long he took building something for her. She said he was a perfectionist. My reply: "That's because if he makes a mistake, it is set in concrete."

Well that stinks but you have to understand shooting this material isn't an exact science and "sanding" a few inches is a BIG project. Unless there is some reason more important than general preference I would say move on. With that said, a concession by the GC should be made which can work to your advantage in terms of other upgrades. My guess is the GC will do quite a bit of other upgrades to avoid shaving down inches of gunite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.