Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Poured, But Wrong Depth... Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Poured, But Wrong Depth... Help!

We had our gunite shot over the past weekend and after going into the pool - we realized that the depth is off. It was suppose to be 3.5/5/4. We went out and measured after seeing a huge dropoff in the 3.5 end and they were off by almost 6 inches! So they fixed that. Later on, as they were finishing the 4ft section, it started to storm- so they rushed to finish. My husband asked if they would be coming back and the guy said he would call our contractor and they took off! Well the 4ft section is off by a few inches and the spa seating level is off a few inches, as well.
    My question is - are we stuck with what we have or is it possible to shave off a few inches in some of the very uneven spots?

Thank you in advance
    Tanya ~
    Building in progress: 30,200 gal in-ground quartz finish freeform 22x42ft pool and 11x10ft multi level seat spa. 6x11 sunshelf w/2 bubblers; Hayward DE Filter; Hayward Tristar VS Variable pump; Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line chlorine system; 2 colored LED GFCI Pool Lights (Large sized) & 1 GFCI color LED spa light; Hayward ProLogic 4 Automated computer; 4 function remote control & 2.0 HP QT blower for spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite Poured, But Wrong Depth... Help!

Were the measurements listed in your contract, and was there any mention of those levels being water height or pool wall height?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes/ the measurements were on our contract and the blueprints the contractor had. I'm 4'11 and my husband is 6'2. We spoke in depth with the contractor about where we wanted the water to hit us. Most of the pool is fine- it's a few areas that we felt they didn't finish correctly because of trying to hurry.
    Building in progress: 30,200 gal in-ground quartz finish freeform 22x42ft pool and 11x10ft multi level seat spa. 6x11 sunshelf w/2 bubblers; Hayward DE Filter; Hayward Tristar VS Variable pump; Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line chlorine system; 2 colored LED GFCI Pool Lights (Large sized) & 1 GFCI color LED spa light; Hayward ProLogic 4 Automated computer; 4 function remote control & 2.0 HP QT blower for spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!

I feel it's going to be a matter of being within tolerance and/or not being worth the potential issues (rebar being exposed - subject to rusting, gunite being thinner than it should be, etc.) Though I'm sure it is frustrating and certainly worth pushing them to see their reply and proposed solutions/options.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

We double checked after the rebar was put in and the dimensions were accurate. The gunite is correct and 4ft at the end, then makes a slight raised hump, then drops back down. I just wanted to see if some sanding was even a possibility - before we ask the contractor. We are meeting with the contractor this afternoon to pick out tile, etc.

6. Back To Top    #6

See my build thread, go to dec 15-through Jan 10, been there consulted with the engineers, left it alone.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have no advice to offer, but it does make me think of my brother-in-law the concrete mason. My mother once complained about how long he took building something for her. She said he was a perfectionist. My reply: "That's because if he makes a mistake, it is set in concrete."
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well that stinks but you have to understand shooting this material isn't an exact science and "sanding" a few inches is a BIG project. Unless there is some reason more important than general preference I would say move on. With that said, a concession by the GC should be made which can work to your advantage in terms of other upgrades. My guess is the GC will do quite a bit of other upgrades to avoid shaving down inches of gunite.
    My Restoration Thread: Making an old pool NEW again

16x32/28,000 gallons/Twin 400GPH waterfalls off stone faced diving platform/1,200 perimeter LED lighs/Sand filter/2hp Pentair/VERA Automation/Southern NH