Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swim season starts this weekend

1. Back To Top    #1

Swim season starts this weekend

Hi all,
    I've been maintaining my pool since last Oct using the TFP method. This is the first weekend we're going to be swimming with company (no pressure! ) These are my current levels:

FC 8 (Got a little too excited!)
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 50
    CH 190
    CYA 40

I know I have to raise CH but haven't gotten around to ordering it yet. I was thinking of lowering pH to 7.2. Would that be wise? I could raise CYA but I'm going to out for 2 months in the summer and having to hire a pool co. and they'll be using pucks.

If there's a heavy swimmer load (no babies/toddlers) the main contaminants will be sun block and bug spray.

1. So if swimming starts saturday morning, what time should I test the water and add chemicals?
    2. How long after adding chemicals can people go in?
    3. Should I test at the end of the day as well?
    4. Anything else?

Thanks as always for helping
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swim season starts this weekend

Your numbers look good right where they are - except CH. But you're on that already. I wouldn't lower pH to 7.2 just for them though. Maybe Friday adjust if it's at about 7.7-7.8.

For your questions:
    1 - Test water early Sat morning and adjust. It's all good after mixing for about 30 min anyway.
    2 - About 30 min is plenty with pump mixing real well
    3 - Yes, after the party. But if you can't, at least add 1/2 - 1 gallon of bleach to help the pool bounce-back from the stress.
    4 - Yes ... have fun.

- - - Updated - - -

After the party, keep an eye on the TA so it doesn't drop below 50. Especially if your pool requires frequent acid for the pH, it's always bringing the TA down with it, so just be mindful of that as well. Enjoy!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would actually leave the CH as it will tend to rise due to evaporation anyway. Just keep your pH a little higher (like about 7.5) to counter the lower CH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

With your low TA and slightly low CH, I wouldn't touch the pH unless it rose ABOVE 7.8. Your pH is likely to be stable for a long time in the upper 7s at those levels.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Excellent. Thank you all!!
    ~20,000 gallons, IG white plaster, Cartridge filter (make unknown), Filter Pump (Jandy Stealth Model # SHPM2.0), Probably over 10 years old, Spa, non-functional SWG (bad sensor), Taylor K-2600