Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bromine Spa Testing with TF100 kit

1. Back To Top    #1

Bromine Spa Testing with TF100 kit

Okay I have read extensively on the chemistry and testing of Bromine and have to say I am now crosseyed and feel really dumb. There is a reason I am an accountant and not a chemist - I just don't get it, so can someone help me with the Bromine Testing for Dummies version. I don't need to know the how's and why's, just what exactly to do. We don't use the spa much and I don't have time to test/treat daily, really want to get to once a week maintenance plus what needs to be done when used.

455 gal fiberglass free standing hot tub w/ozonator
    Temp 100
    New fill on 5/20 with sodium bromide
    using floating bromine tabs
    No use since new fill

I have the TF-100 kit which I have mastered for my salt water chlorinated swimming pool, I believe I can use this kit also for my Bromine hot tub. If I understand correctly all I have read before, I test pH, TA and CH exactly the same as my pool, no need to test CC, CYA and Salt. It's just the FC (or Bromine) testing I'm unsure about. Yesterday I used the R-870/R-871 and it took 21 drops to clear the red - so does this mean CL of 10.5 (if it were my pool) and BR of 23.6 (multiply the result by 2.25)?

Also can/should I use borates in the spa?
    Liz

17,500 gal, IG Trilogy fiberglass sport pool 43'8"x16', Jandy Cart CS Ser filter, Jandy Pro Ser+ 1.5 HP pump, Nature 2 Fusion Soft SWG (mineral removed), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner. Maax Spa 481 (455 gal)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bromine Spa Testing with TF100 kit

What sample size did you use for the test, 25mL or 10mL?

If 10mL samples size is used, the the titration reports as 1.25ppm bromine per drop. If the 25mL sample size is used, then the titration reports as 0.5ppm bromine per drop.

Yes, you can still use borates in your bromine spa.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If I may, you sound like you want a SWG just like your pool, no fuss, get the levels right, let it do its thing and check it once or twice a week, am I close

Grab this and convert over to a chlorine spa and add salt You may get away with the chlormaker at 100 bucks cheaper
    Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Mine has been going strong for 2 years now, I have almost 700 gallons and have it set to 4, crystal clear water
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    If I may, you sound like you want a SWG just like your pool, no fuss, get the levels right, let it do its thing and check it once or twice a week, am I close

Grab this and convert over to a chlorine spa and add salt You may get away with the chlormaker at 100 bucks cheaper
    Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

Mine has been going strong for 2 years now, I have almost 700 gallons and have it set to 4, crystal clear water
    One of these days... I'm just going to get that MegaChlor. My spa is more work than my pool!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    What sample size did you use for the test, 25mL or 10mL?
    My test kit instructions say to use 10mL so does this mean my bromine level is at 26.25 (21 drops x 1.25) - wow thats a lot, good thing I did try to use it last night

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post

Oh my word, YES I would love for my hot tub to be a SWG!! We were told that it wasn't possible with a spa because of the heat. I will certainly check this out - thank you!
    Liz

17,500 gal, IG Trilogy fiberglass sport pool 43'8"x16', Jandy Cart CS Ser filter, Jandy Pro Ser+ 1.5 HP pump, Nature 2 Fusion Soft SWG (mineral removed), TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir, Dolphin Oasis Z5 robotic cleaner. Maax Spa 481 (455 gal)