Bromine Spa Testing with TF100 kit

Lizbethmcq

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2014
Parkesburg PA
Okay I have read extensively on the chemistry and testing of Bromine and have to say I am now crosseyed and feel really dumb. There is a reason I am an accountant and not a chemist - I just don't get it, so can someone help me with the Bromine Testing for Dummies version. I don't need to know the how's and why's, just what exactly to do. We don't use the spa much and I don't have time to test/treat daily, really want to get to once a week maintenance plus what needs to be done when used.

455 gal fiberglass free standing hot tub w/ozonator
Temp 100
New fill on 5/20 with sodium bromide
using floating bromine tabs
No use since new fill

I have the TF-100 kit which I have mastered for my salt water chlorinated swimming pool, I believe I can use this kit also for my Bromine hot tub. If I understand correctly all I have read before, I test pH, TA and CH exactly the same as my pool, no need to test CC, CYA and Salt. It's just the FC (or Bromine) testing I'm unsure about. Yesterday I used the R-870/R-871 and it took 21 drops to clear the red - so does this mean CL of 10.5 (if it were my pool) and BR of 23.6 (multiply the result by 2.25)?

Also can/should I use borates in the spa?

What sample size did you use for the test, 25mL or 10mL?

If 10mL samples size is used, the the titration reports as 1.25ppm bromine per drop. If the 25mL sample size is used, then the titration reports as 0.5ppm bromine per drop.

Yes, you can still use borates in your bromine spa.

If I may, you sound like you want a SWG just like your pool, no fuss, get the levels right, let it do its thing and check it once or twice a week, am I close :)

Grab this and convert over to a chlorine spa and add salt :) You may get away with the chlormaker at 100 bucks cheaper
Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?)

Mine has been going strong for 2 years now, I have almost 700 gallons and have it set to 4, crystal clear water :)

If I may, you sound like you want a SWG just like your pool, no fuss, get the levels right, let it do its thing and check it once or twice a week, am I close :)

Grab this and convert over to a chlorine spa and add salt :) You may get away with the chlormaker at 100 bucks cheaper
Amazon.com : MegaChlor DO Salt Water Pool and Swim Spa Chlorine Generator, Drape Over Easy Install with 10 power levels, boost mode and control box : Patio, Lawn Garden

Mine has been going strong for 2 years now, I have almost 700 gallons and have it set to 4, crystal clear water :)

One of these days... I'm just going to get that MegaChlor. My spa is more work than my pool!

What sample size did you use for the test, 25mL or 10mL?

My test kit instructions say to use 10mL so does this mean my bromine level is at 26.25 (21 drops x 1.25) - wow thats a lot, good thing I did try to use it last night

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my word, YES I would love for my hot tub to be a SWG!! We were told that it wasn't possible with a spa because of the heat. I will certainly check this out - thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.