While I'm going through the endless wait for my pool to be completed I've been considering what form of chlorine to use.
My tentative decision is to use Trichlor tablets even with the eventual CYA problems. However I will test with TF-100 and provide results here for reevaluation. I will avoid the pool stores.
My previous pool went 7 yrs before selling the house in 2000 with Trichlor and no problems.
Here is some more background for my decision:
1. PB has installed inline chlorinator and is prepared to start up with that.
2. I eventually want to go SWG but can't arrive at a choice of system and I don't even want to ask PB how much to install.
3. I don't want shop for liquid chlorine every week, but will get as needed and to keep chlorinator on lowest setting.
4. If I have to drain pool the cost of 15,000 gallons of water is about $100, but shouldn't have to do much draining for at least 6 months as rainy season will be here.
5. Chlorine load will be low with screened pool and screen material is 17x20 Twitchell Superscreen.
PB will probably just fill the chlorinator with some pucks turn it up high and initial CYA will be 0. For my size pool it will add 2.2 ppm CYA for each 8 oz. tablet so 1st week maybe CYA 5 second week total CYA 10.
Can I get by with such low initial CYA without adding additional stabilizer?