Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help getting water balanced

1. Back To Top    #1

Help getting water balanced

Just opened my pool and the water is crystal clear. Vacuumed a few leaves, worms out and added 4 gallons of liquid shock. Haven't added anything else. My numbers (using Taylor K-2005 test kit):

Chlorine - 10-20
    pH - registering greater than the highest mark (8)
    Alkalinity - 170
    Calcium - 270 (actually turned purple not blue)
    CYA - 50

Should I add anything or wait for chlorine to come down?
    16x32 inground vinyl pool, 23,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter, built 2013, Taylor K2005 test kit, Dolphin cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help getting water balanced

Did you test before or after adding the chlorine?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Robbie is asking because high chlorine (over 10ppm) can invalidate the results of the ph test.

With the numbers posted above, both pH and alkalinity are high (and they're related, higher alkalinity tends to drive a higher pH). Fortunately, they can be adjusted together. You'll want muratic acid for that. But first, you want to make sure you have a proper pH result.

ONLY DO THIS AFTER YOU'RE SURE OF YOUR PH LEVEL: The process is generally to use poolcalculator.com to determine how much muriatic acid is needed to reduce pH to 7.2. Add that amount all at once with the pump running. The act of dropping the pH sharply with acid will lower alkalinity a bit. Wait a bit and re-measure both. Then, it's lather, rinse, repeat. You'll end up doing this a few times, maybe over a period of days, until alkalinity falls where you want it. 70 to 90ppm is generally recommended as a target, although it's ok to be a bit outside this range as long as pH falls where you want it. Every pool is a little different when it comes to pH and where it tends to drift. I find that I have to keep mine on the low side, around 70ppm, to keep my pH from going above 7.8.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't believe Pool Calculator is being maintained anymore unless something changed recently. Instead, we recommend Pool Math at the top of the page.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good to know...I'll have to update my bookmark!
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

The K-2005 test kit won't give you the FAS-DPD test you *need* to read FC over 10.

You can order that part of the K-2006 kit here: TFTestkits.net
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

I added the chlorine yesterday evening and tested this morning.
    16x32 inground vinyl pool, 23,000 gallons, Hayward sand filter, built 2013, Taylor K2005 test kit, Dolphin cleaner