Trying to remove hayward multiport valve to replace plastic o-ring that handle sits o

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
Having some trouble getting the valve off to replace a dry rotted o-ring. I have removed the 6 screws, but the top doesn't want to come apart from the bottom. It seems like something is keeping it from coming off. Is my valve just old and stuck in place or is there something else going on? I can get a screwdriver between the 2 halves, but I don't want to force it off and break something.

Probably just stuck. try tapping it with a rubber mallet or prying gently with screwdriver. btw, i assume you are talking about a spider gasket. there are many youtube videos on multiport valves. i didnt realize there were so many different models.

that might be harder. i remember [vaguely] doing that many years ago and had a heck of a time getting the handle off/on. i was probably doing it wrong. Here is a link to replacing the spring (which you are not doing) and the white gasket you are wanting to replace. It shows how to compress the spring to remove the handle pin. i wish i had found that when i did mine.
How To Replace a Pool Multiport Valve Spring - INYOPools.com

since your valve top part is stuck, you may find you have a bad spider gasket too. just a guess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.