Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA, CH & CYA Numbers Dropping

1. Back To Top    #1

Question TA, CH & CYA Numbers Dropping

Hello All. I'm a newbie and noticed my numbers for TA, CH, and CYA have dropped since I tested 3 days ago. My pool is brand new, so is this normal during the plaster curing process? My numbers when I tested on 5/22 were:

TA - 130
    CH - 350
    CYA - 40

My numbers this morning:

TA - 110
    CH - 175
    CYA - 20

My CC was 1.5 on 5/22 so I have been adding liquid chlorine to keep my FC around 9. This morning my FC is 9 and my CC is 0.5. The water has been clear and my pH has been between 7.4-7.5.
    16K gal, IG, plaster, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 266 Heater, Pentair WhisperFlo single speed Water Feature pump, Stenner Liquid Chlorine pump, Zodiac MX-8 Suction Side Cleaner, Automatic Pool Cover, TF100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: TA, CH & CYA Numbers Dropping

Have you had a massive (50%) water exchange?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Have you had a massive (50%) water exchange?
    Nope. Not sure if it's a pool issue or my testing methods. I don't want to start adding chemicals until I know for sure.
    16K gal, IG, plaster, Hayward TriStar VS Pump, Jandy CL580 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 266 Heater, Pentair WhisperFlo single speed Water Feature pump, Stenner Liquid Chlorine pump, Zodiac MX-8 Suction Side Cleaner, Automatic Pool Cover, TF100 Test Kit w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have an auto-fill?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

CH I could see if you did a 25ml sample one time and a 10 ml the next. CYA is hard to mess up quantities.

The one that alarms me the most is CH, if you just had new plaster. I would do that one again with someone else, read the card out loud and verify each step.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. If the pool had an occult leak that wasn't detected because of the autofill.

Would you hear the water coming on and off though?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Yeah, that was my first thought too. If the pool had an occult leak that wasn't detected because of the autofill.

Would you hear the water coming on and off though?
    You could not hear mine. But you can't hear any of my equipment at the pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    No, but I did add some water yesterday to get me half way up the waterline tiles. The water was approx 1/4 above the tiles before doing so. My PB came over yesterday to check out the equipment and told me to add water.