Jul 21, 2015
Montreal, QC
Hi - A question for those more experienced than me (most of you!) This is the 4th season for my pool and last year I noticed a small dribble coming from the connector on top on my Hayward pump (photo labelled "before"). It looks like the fitting was topped off with silicone but for whatever reason it leaked. It wasn't too bad but still, I tried applying some silicone to it (hack job :) and it helped a little - would make a drop of water ever 10 seconds or so. Yesterday I started my pool for the season but noticed the leak became much worse with the pump on (a drop ever 2 seconds from 2 places now). I also now notice a dribble similar to last year on the sand filter connector, which was also siliconed-in . I tried a channel lock to tighter the nut , but it just keeps turning without getting tighter. I wonder if the installer (Club Piscine) didn't just silicone-in smaller parts. At this point I think my only option is to cut the old connectors out and replace them with new. I'm just afraid I won't be able to get all of the silicone off the interior threads without damaging them and risk the new connectors will leak. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Tonebone

Attachments

• Pump before.jpg
    Pump before.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 78
  • Pump Pic now.jpg
    Pump Pic now.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 79
Thank you for the reply, cowboycasey. I wondered what those outside threads were for :eek: So basically once the old connector is pulled, this threads on top of the pump and the quick connect to the sand filter on top of that - got it. My kids will be happy I can finally shock the pool this weekend. Thanks again - it's appreciated!

Tonebone

Just unscrew the union out of the pump, clean all that goulash off it, put some pipe dope or teflon tape on the threads and screw it back into the pump.

*Update* - I really liked cowboycasey's solution but unfortunately, I live in Quebec, Canada. I saw the exact same product offered at Amazon.ca but instead of $11.49 like on USA version - it's $20.73 + $21.39 shipping and a week to arrive. I ended up trying what pooldv suggested. I unscrewed both fittings, cleaned them throughly, applied 3 layers of Teflon tape, covered that with a thin layer of silicone, screwed them back in hand tight plus 1/4 turn - 24 hours later they're as dry as the Sahara! Thank you both! I love this forum - a fantastic place to learn! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.