First Timer Opening on Saturday

Aug 5, 2015
Manalapan, NJ
Hello Everyone. My name is Brian, and I live in central New Jersey.

I've been lurking on this site for months now educating myself, and with my opening now a couple days away, I figured it would be a good time to say hello.

In the middle of last summer my wife and two little boys moved into our new home. The in-ground pool was already open, and with my limited knowledge of pools, I decided to just get through the last few weeks of the summer before really diving into the science of owning a pool. I used the chlorine tablets left behind by the previous owner, bought a test kit from Home Depot and tried to keep the pH and FC in balance until closing. During that time we had a new mesh loop-loc cover and baby-loc fencing installed to keep the kids safe. Used a local pool store to close, and they dumped in various chemicals in the days prior to the closing.

Now it's a few months later, and I've been doing lots of research on this site. I plan to ditch the chlorine tabs for bleach and fully follow the TFPC methods.

I ordered a TF-100 test kit, read "The ABC's of Pool Chemistry", and "Recommended Pool Chemicals" at least 10 times each, as well as my pump and filter owner manuals.

Saturday, we will open the pool ourselves, and I can't wait to get started putting all of this knowledge to use. For someone like me who was nervous about taking care of a pool for the first time, this website has been incredibly helpful. Knowing there is a place you can go where the people have the answers and are eager to help really makes the thought of taking care of my own pool a lot less scary. Thank you to everyone who contributes to this site. Looking forward to being a part of the community.

Brian