Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae with high FC and no CC's

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Algae with high FC and no CC's

Hello all,

I had a very light case of mustard algae a couple of weeks ago that I treated with sodium bromide (before I started following TFP). My water has been clear for about two weeks.

Last night I got home to a light green tint and what appears to be mustard algae on the bottom of the deep end of the pool. However, I have been doing some sod work around the pool, so it could be dust from that. I'm confused because my
    FC was 3.5 and no CC's when I checked the pool before beginning SLAM.

Can mustard algae grow and not create CC's?

FC - 3.5
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.5
    CYA - 40
    TA - 80
    (all before SLAM)
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae with high FC and no CC's

Did you read the article about mustard algae? I think it has answers to some or all of your questions.
    Pool School - Mustard Algae
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I did, but it did not address the CC's question. I would think that if my FC was 3.5 with mustard algae, then I should have some CC's. Is this correct?
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Not necessarily, CC gets burned off by the sun so it might not show up on a test even if you have algae. That is one reason why there are three criteria you need to meet to end a SLAM (1. Pass OCLT, 2. CC is 0.5 or less, and 3. Water is clear with no visible algae)
    11,500 Gal Fiberglass IG Pool. Hayward cartridge filter with Pentair 3/4 HP pump
    500 Gal Fiberglass AG Spa with cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok...that makes sense. Thanks for the help to all!
    Greg - Mississippi