New pool owner and have some questions about BBB and SWG

don215

May 25, 2016
Langhorne PA
Hey everyone, hoping someone can explain this to me because im struggling finding the answer. So we had a new fiberglass pool installed this month, 12,000 gallons with a pentair cncp 320 filter, and a pentair salt generator. I was reading about the BBB method and was wondering if this method also applies if you have a SWG? If so, does the BBB method change at all? Took a water sample to a local pool store and based on the test results, their system stated we needed to shock the pool, add CYA and something with calcium (i do not have the report with me at the moment). $100 later and now im scratching my head over here wondering if the BBB method will work or is it even needed with a swg system. any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much

Yes, it applies. I have basically the same size and setup but plaster.

The main difference is that your SWG will provide the majority of the chlorine vs daily adds of bleach. There are some different guidelines as well for SWG with fiberglass.

I would suggest reading pool school and see this link as it shows some differences with SWG for the recommending levels.
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Pool School - Recommended Levels

You will need to get a good test kit.

Don't get too caught up on "BBB". Many, such as myself, never buy borax or baking soda. With a SWG, you'll even rarely need bleach. Consider it the "TFP method", where you know how to balance your pool, know the effects of different products, and know not to add things to your pool that it doesn't need.

BBB will eventually work it's way out of our system, I think. Either way,TFP teaches you to understand your pool. It teaches you to test carefully, understand what to do with the test results and then apply them.

It's really not complex and is applicable to every pool in the world.

TFP teaches you to manage your own pool

thanks for the responses. trying to wrap my head around this process, and im sure it will take time. is it worth getting a pool test kit? there is a local pool store about 5 minutes away that does all of the test for free which is what I was thinking about doing.

Generally you don't want to go to a pool store for testing. By the tf 100 or the k 2006 test kits. Do it yourself at home.

What was your calcium level? In a fiberglass pool you generally don't worry about it that much.

Read pool school and learn the TFP method. It works great with a swg.

You will find really quickly that the forum will not trust the pool stores test and I agree after going to them 4 or 5 times at the start. I started using my own test kit after a week and have not been back since.

As a stop gap until you get your kit, maybe but that will take less than a week, you could get a a basic chlorine and PH kit from the store to hold you over but usually, it is better to buy a few bottles of bleach and add some daily as others may suggest until you get your kit.

thanks for the responses. trying to wrap my head around this process, and im sure it will take time. is it worth getting a pool test kit? there is a local pool store about 5 minutes away that does all of the test for free which is what I was thinking about doing.

I would consider it a requirement. Would you want a car with no gas gauge? (and yes, I'm old enough to remember Beetles with no gauge but a reserve instead).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.