Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Elevated CYA and Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Elevated CYA and Algae

I recently purchased a house with a pool and trying to open it for the summer.

It has algae, elevated CYA of right between 80-100 and elevated Phosphates. I bought Poly 60%, phosfree, and dropped water in the pool by almost half for the CYA.

So what do I do first?
    1. Fill it first. Then add the Phosfree and Poly 60% and Shock?
    2. Phosfree & Poly60 First, then fill, then shock?
    3. Other?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Elevated CYA and Algae

3> OTHER! You need to order one of our recommended test kits and take control of the beast. Phosfree= waste of money. Poly= waste of money, will not CLEAR algae. We don't SHOCK anything. Return that stuff if you can and invest in liquid bleach. We SLAM it! Please give us all your pool parameters in a signature line in your profile. Than read Pool School ABCs and how to SLAM your pool and what is required. Welcome.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Background
    Pool School - Defeating Algae

Short version
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Long version of how to get rid of algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

What we need in a signature to better help you, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

All other parameters are in order. I'll get you the exact readings tonight but pH, Ca, TA are all in normal range. I presume I do have to replace half the water to get the CYA into a range so that the SLAM will work?

So do I -
    1. SLAM with the elevated CYA(80-100) in 15k gallons
    2. SLAM with in line CYA (40-50) in a 30k pool

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! The methods here are the most economical way to clear your water and keep it clear all season long. There is a lot of information overload at the beginning, but it will sink in and you will be a TFP pool snob soon

Just keep reading and asking questions.

Agree with others. Return what you bought if possible. Order one of the recommended test kits, the TF-100 XL is the most economical option when you need to SLAM.

Link to the most economical kit:
    TFTestkits.net

Once you get one of the recommended kits, post up a full set of results. The upper limits of the CYA is 100, if you are above 100, you should dilute 50% pool water with 50% tap water.

In the mean time, go buy a bunch of plain bleach (no splashless, no outdoor, no scented), plain Wal-Mart brand bleach is generally easy to find and economical. Once you fill in your signature with your pool details so we can tell you how much bleach to add each day while waiting for your test kit.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

6. Back To Top    #6

You'll be happier in the long run with lower CYA. That means some water replacement.

You don't want to add Phos-free to a green pool. Even the manufacturer warns against it, but the pool store clerks only see dollar signs, so they push it. What happens is you end up with thousands of gallons of water that looks like milk. It should only be added to an algae-free pool.

You don't want to add algaecide now, either. It's a preventative, not a cure. It's like putting SPF30 on a beet-red sunburn. It doesn't relieve the pain, and in fact, rubbing it on only increases the suffering. The time for algaecide was at the end of last season, so you wouldn't open to a green pool.

So if your pool is already half empty, fill it up and get it circulating at least half an hour and brush the thing so you get things mixed even in the dead spots. Then test it all. If CYA is still too high for your liking, drain some more. If you have the ability to vacuum to waste, that's a good way to remove water and sludge simultaneously. That depends on your equipment. Please fill out your signature so we can stop speculating and give answers tailored to you.

Once you know the CYA level and have the pH in range, you bleach the algae into submission. We call that the SLAM. It's like a pol store shock, only under control and sustained long enough to actually work.

Here's a few links. Look at the pictures. Read a little. Do what they did.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks everyone. I'll follow up with more technical details of the hardware tonight.
    40x16x(4-8) 30k gallons, vinyl pool in heavily wooded area. Pump unknown, Hayward 48ft2 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok,
    ph - 7.6
    Fr Chlo - 0
    TA - 100
    CYA - 90

I've drained somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 half of the 30k pool.

So do I
    Slam now, then refill?
    or
    refill then slam?
    40x16x(4-8) 30k gallons, vinyl pool in heavily wooded area. Pump unknown, Hayward 48ft2 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by hubs99 View Post
    Ok,
    ph - 7.6
    Fr Chlo - 0
    TA - 100
    CYA - 90

I've drained somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 half of the 30k pool.

So do I
    Slam now, then refill?
    or
    refill then slam?
    Refill. You must have good circulation to SLAM, and that won't happen with low water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks Richard. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

11. Back To Top    #11

Update - Shocked with 8.25%, and went up to low 20's. FC is down into the 3ppm range but the pool is still very cloudy.

Should I reshock tonight or wait for the OCLT in the morning?

12. Back To Top    #12

Update - Shocked with 8.25%, and went up to low 20's. FC is down into the 3ppm range but the pool is still very cloudy.

Should I reshock tonight or wait for the OCLT in the morning?
    Keep the pool at shock level until it passes the overnight loss test AND CC is .5 or less AND the water is clear, even after brushing. That's the M in SLAM. Shock Level And Maintain. The Pool store will tell you to blast the pool with chlorine and forget it.... which is why the pool never gets clear. Algae didn;t take over in a day ore two, so it'll take more than a day or two to get rid of it.

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, Round 2. How often should I be backwashing? Only when the pressure jumps?

Thanks again. We'll see what the morning brings.

14. Back To Top    #14

OK, Round 2. How often should I be backwashing? Only when the pressure jumps?

Thanks again. We'll see what the morning brings.
    When the pressure rises 25% over clean pressure OR you notice diminished return flow. And maybe a full teardown when the SLAM is all done just to get it really clean. Backwashing never removes all the DE. DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial

15. Back To Top    #15

We had an overcast day and my FC stayed 10 all day. Should I bounce it back overnight? Or should i presume the organic matter is fried its just dead particulate that needs to be filtered?

The water continues to be cloudy, FC 10, pH, TA, CYA all normal range.

16. Back To Top    #16

We had an overcast day and my FC stayed 10 all day. Should I bounce it back overnight? Or should i presume the organic matter is fried its just dead particulate that needs to be filtered?

The water continues to be cloudy, FC 10, pH, TA, CYA all normal range.
    SLAM says keep it at shock level until: CC is 0.5 or lower AND you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test AND the water is clear all at the same time. I don't see any of those yet. Don't stop too soon, or it will return.

17. Back To Top    #17

Richard - Thanks for all your help - The pool has been green free for close to a week and I could not be any happier. Hopefully I won't screw it up.

18. Back To Top    #18

Richard - Thanks for all your help - The pool has been green free for close to a week and I could not be any happier. Hopefully I won't screw it up.
    Now's when you coast. Just don't coast too long. Keep the FC up and the pH in range and brush and vacuum once in a while and that's all there is. The pool will just keep getting clearer and clearer and someday soon someone is going to come over and see your sparkling pool and freeze and say "Wow!"