Crystal clear pool to green overnight

bhubb

Jan 4, 2016
KS
Last night my pool was crystal clear. Just letting chlorine drift after a slam. Here are readings:

FC: 10.5
cc: 0
ta: 145
cya: 80
Ph: 7.5

we had a lot of rain last few days and woke up today and pool is nearly to the top and a cloudy green. What can this be and how can i fix this? (I am hoping not having to slam)

Well, the only thing I can see is that based on your CYA, your pool is struggling to maintain proper FC sanitation even though you have your FC elevated just above the target of 9. I can't help but wonder if your CYA isn't actually a bit higher which would indicate why the chlorine is struggling once you let it start to drop. Remember there is a +/- 15 ppm variance on that CYA test. Unfortunately, I don't see any other option but to SLAM. But first, I would consider a partial water exchange to lower that CYA (even to at least 60) and ensure there is nothing being added to the water (i.e. tablets, bags of shock, etc) that may increasing CYA without your knowledge.

I am noticing the debris all around pool edge which tells me the pool water went over the edge.

- - - Updated - - -

I am draining now because of water level so i will keep draining from main drain and exchange water. Thanks for reply

image.jpgBump... Any ideas why this would happen? I cant see it being algae because my FC was dropping very very slowly so cant imagine it was attacking anything. I raised it to 15 and it is still not dropping (cloudy) day

If it came on so quickly, I would assume that the SLAM would proceed just as quickly. The longer you wait the more time algae will have to grow.

I notice your CYA is pretty high- do you use a SWG? Other wise I would recommend you drain 1/2 and refill then SLAM-away!

If it came on so quickly, I would assume that the SLAM would proceed just as quickly. The longer you wait the more time algae will have to grow.

I notice your CYA is pretty high- do you use a SWG? Other wise I would recommend you drain 1/2 and refill then SLAM-away!

I did drain half and refilling now. The thing is i understand how to fix it, i want to know why it happened? I know it may be impossible to say since you werent at my house during the massive rainfall (2.5" in 4 hours).. This amount of rain is really rare but if i am going to have to slam after every rainfall i will keep the pool closed until late may

By chance is there a lawn near the pool? Could runoff make it from the lawn to the pool? If it's been fertilized recently, there's your answer.

If it did overflow yes lawn chemicals could be it. This is what i thought but hasnt been fertilized for a few weeks. Either way i am lowering the CYA and starting slam process. Just need to keep a better eye on levels and close cover when that amount of rain is predicted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.