Converting to SWG today

LINY

May 23, 2016
Long Island, NY
I'm new to here but was reading all your tips on TFP last year and decided this was the way I wanted to go as we suffered algae on and off last year and very high CYA using chlorine tablets and powered shock. Currently I am waiting for my TF100 test kit to be placed on my door mat (it's at my local post office as I type very excited about that!!). We opened on Saturday to start getting it clean and ready for the SWG to be fitted. The only thing I have done so far chemically wise is to raise ph and used bleach plus a couple of bags of shock I had left over as my CYA is usually very low as pool freezes in winter. It's clearing and just slightly cloudy in the deep end. My question is with starting the year on a SWG is it best to balance the pool ph, TA and CYA before throwing in the salt or after or during... I am not sure if there is an order I should be following and some gentle advice would be grateful. I have read pool school and SWG optimum levels but I can't seem to find anything for changing over and how best to achieve this.

Welcome. Your pool won't care when the salt is added, but your SWG will!~ Add it and circulate for 24 hours before firing that puppy up. PH is always the first concern. Make sure you have 70 to 80 CYA to make your SWG happy too. TA after everything else.

Welcome to TFP :)

Salt can be added now but before you raise CYA and balance for a SWG lets make sure you do not need to SLAM first :)

Once you kit arrives do all the tests and post back so we can see where you are at..

You said the pool is a little cloudy, do you have regular bleach or 10% liquid chlorine from WalMart? You may need to use this for a SLAM depending on your numbers to get your pool nice and ready for the SWG to take over its duties.. You will also need to keep some 10% around for stuff like pool parties, low FC level for whatever reason, you SWG is great at keeping your FC steady but not good at raising it, you will want to do that with the 10%, I usually get 3 at the store and just keep them around and when down to 1 gallon I will grab some more..

I hope this helps :)

Salt has gone in as per woodyp suggestion but held back a couple of bags just in case, The generator hasn't been fitted yet will be later today and my kit should be on the door step soon so before I turn on in 24 hours I will do my first set of readings and get my chemistry sorted. I am so excited about this test kit it's unreal! Watching for the postie will get back with my figures as soon as. Thanks guys your already making me feel less anxious about the whole thing.

- - - Updated - - -

My bleach is 8.25% have 2 in the garage but will be popping to Walmart a bit later to get in some 10%.

Ok kit arrived... Happy Days

ph 7.2
FC 2
CC 1
TC 3
CH 150
TA 180
CYA 75

obviously I can see my TA is way too high and my ph is still a little low
as I say pool is cloudy so assume I should slam it? Before turning the SWG on?

The SLAM is the only thing that you need to concentrate on for now.

After the SLAM is complete then you can tweak in the other numbers.

The pH is perfect to start the SLAM, use 80 for the CYA, and target 31 FC for the SLAM.

Did you get the XL version added to the test kit?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2/3 ain't bad passed the CC below 0.5 only needed one drop and pool is crystal clear. My FC Dropped 5ppm over night... I miss counted yesterday dropped one bottle of 10% bleach too many ended up higher than I needed to be I figured it would be ok yesterday my FC ended up at 47ppm (nearer mustard algae level I believe!) this morning it's 42 still way above where I need to be FC 31 so no more bleach until I get back slightly under... Then as I was researching I realized I had messed up my CYA result as I did it inside and not outside with my back to the sun which means I may very well be a little lower on my CYA but still have enough to make it stable and I correct in my thinking? If my CYA turns out to be lower should I let my FC LEVEL drop to that level before adding (if needed) any more bleach?

I warmed it up to room temp before taking it outside second time round lesson learned. Thanks Pool Tool

Had a set back pool pump is currently out of action, it's in hand, parts are coming it was leaking water badly so new seal plate, seal and assembly are on order... Just as it was going so well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.