Is going SWG the best thing you have ever done?

JoeRJGR

Jun 19, 2013
Freehold NJ
Hi All,

Thinking of moving over to a SWG because I travel alot and we are often not home on the weekends. A SWG seems like the only real solution to be able to add chlorine without adding CYA and not babysitting the pool every day.

Hate to spend the money, but hate more that everytime I go away I am constatntly worried my pool will get away from me.

Thanks for the comments in advance!

I converted to swg in April in last year and have loved it ever since. My filter and swg are both controlled by a timer that I have set for two 2 hour periods a day with the swg output set for 40% to 50% depending on the days temperature and pool party load. I can leave the pool unattended a few times a season for 2 weeks at a time without worry of coming back to swamp unless something like a hurricane hits while I'm gone. Once I am comfortable that everything is running as I want, my testing goes to once every 7 to 10 days (when I'm not on vacation that is).

I notice you went with a hayward system...I was just going to start a thread becasue lots of people think a $0K cell is too small for a 38K pool.....but Im thinking you must have gone that route no?

- - - Updated - - -

You have a hayward 40K cell I take it? I was just going to start a thread because most people say you I need to have a larger cell then 40K...my pool is 38,000. You're OK with the 40K?

Best decision I've made. My pool has been open for almost 7 weeks and I've used exactly two gallons of bleach and a little acid. Second best was replacing my 10 yr old pump with a new variable speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got tired of manually dosing chlorine pretty quick and installed a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator). Very happy I did. Go with the largest your budget can afford. SWCG are rated on daily out put (24 hours of run time) most people here don't run their pump 24 hours no need to. SWCG manufacturers estimate chlorine usages based on size of pool in gallons, and rate their cells that way (in gallons). We recommend you go 2-3 times your pool size to match up with their stated size, but bigger is better. You can turn down the output of most SWCGs. Cells are typically rated for 5000-8000 hours of life at 100%.

Your other option is bumping up to shock level on Friday before you leave and hope all is well when you return. That's what I think most of the once a weeks pool services do.

I really would prefer to go with Hayward but my pool is 38,000 gallons and there is no way I m going to run the pump 24/7. I usually run the pump about 9 hrs a day....I know other companies make larger units, I just dont trust them...the idea of supplementing with Bleach is interesting but sort of dfeats the purpose....Thaks for the reply

Depending on how you look at the cell size...

TFP is about easy pool care, and at the same time, keeping it econimical. Using SWGs size 1 /2 - 3 x the size of the pool is a more long term econimical way of implementing a SWG.

The 40K may keep your pool chlorinated at the appropriate level. And all things being equal as an example, it may need to be set at 100% output to do it. Whereas a larger cell could run at 60% and produce the same amount of chlorine in the same amount of time.

The longer you have to run the cell, or at higher output, the more quickly it will eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

A 40K cell may last you 3 or 4 years according to the manufacturer and they probably use 100% as their factor. A 60K could likely stretch out to 6 or 7 before the cell needs to be replaced

So, we recommend to look at the long term financial cost of expected cell replacement, then make the decision that's the best fit for you.

Lots of folks here with Circupool and Pentair SWGs who are happy with them. I'll throw a +1 for Pentair. I will not hesitate to order another Pentair cell when this one fails. Mine is starting season 5 and has been outstanding. I was even able to maintain a SLAM at 28ppm FC last summer with almost no bleach.

Hmmm..maybe I'll look at pentair then...agh..thought this was an easy decison...I realize that a smaller cell wont last as long. Im OK with that, but dont want to run my pump 24/7. I dont suppose you could retrofit a standard pool motor to a variable speed?

I went the whole 9 yards and did complete automation with an Autopliot system. We love it. Just throw in the robot one a week and the pool is clean and shiny. The unit has been running since early March and it's keeping the FC between 3.5- 6.5 ph at 7.45- 7.52 with the Temps going from the 60s to the mid 80s. We running in ORP mode and the pump runs from 9 am to 9 pm at 1750 rpms. Before we swim I'll turn the pump speed up to 2250 to get a little better skimming action. It has made pool care sooo easy.

Hmmm..maybe I'll look at pentair then...agh..thought this was an easy decison...I realize that a smaller cell wont last as long. Im OK with that, but dont want to run my pump 24/7. I dont suppose you could retrofit a standard pool motor to a variable speed?

Yes, replacement VS motors are available.

But, there are also some less expensive VS pumps on the market, here is one.
Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 sunplay.com
Pentair SuperFlo VS 1-1/2 HP Variable Speed Pump (220V ) - 342000 - INYOPools.com

Also, if you become a TFP supporter you get a discount coupon from INYO pools. More here, CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.