Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is going SWG the best thing you have ever done?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is going SWG the best thing you have ever done?

Hi All,

Thinking of moving over to a SWG because I travel alot and we are often not home on the weekends. A SWG seems like the only real solution to be able to add chlorine without adding CYA and not babysitting the pool every day.

Hate to spend the money, but hate more that everytime I go away I am constatntly worried my pool will get away from me.

Thanks for the comments in advance!
    38,000 gallon vinyl liner, True "L", Sand Filter, Hayward Heater, Diving Board

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Is going SWG the best thing you have ever done?

Ohh yes

Here is a very new thread
    SWG the best answer?
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I converted to swg in April in last year and have loved it ever since. My filter and swg are both controlled by a timer that I have set for two 2 hour periods a day with the swg output set for 40% to 50% depending on the days temperature and pool party load. I can leave the pool unattended a few times a season for 2 weeks at a time without worry of coming back to swamp unless something like a hurricane hits while I'm gone. Once I am comfortable that everything is running as I want, my testing goes to once every 7 to 10 days (when I'm not on vacation that is).
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I've never had anything else, but can't imagine not having it. As close to set it and forget it you can get with a pool. (Disclaimer: don't actually set it and forget)
    30K? gal (20x40, 3ft shallow to 8-9ft hopper), Vinyl IG, single speed 1HP pump, Hayward Micro Clear DE-3600 filter, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG T15 Cell, Rheem/Raypack M206A heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I notice you went with a hayward system...I was just going to start a thread becasue lots of people think a $0K cell is too small for a 38K pool.....but Im thinking you must have gone that route no?

- - - Updated - - -

You have a hayward 40K cell I take it? I was just going to start a thread because most people say you I need to have a larger cell then 40K...my pool is 38,000. You're OK with the 40K?

6. Back To Top    #6

It would not be big enough for your pool. You need a "60". Even my last 60 wasn't big enough.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

Check out the Circupool SWG.

Best pool decision I've made was switching to salt.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

why would SWG companies under rate theirnproducts?

9. Back To Top    #9

Best decision I've made. My pool has been open for almost 7 weeks and I've used exactly two gallons of bleach and a little acid. Second best was replacing my 10 yr old pump with a new variable speed.
    37,000 gal IG concrete free-form, Hayward TriStar VS pump, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Polaris w/ booster pump, CircuPool RJ60g SWG, Hayward OnCommand w/ remote

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRJGR View Post
    why would SWG companies under rate theirnproducts?
    The cells will work in the pool size specified. The reason that it is recommended to upsize is so the cell does not have to run at its max rate. If you run them at a lower rate they will last longer.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

I got tired of manually dosing chlorine pretty quick and installed a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator). Very happy I did. Go with the largest your budget can afford. SWCG are rated on daily out put (24 hours of run time) most people here don't run their pump 24 hours no need to. SWCG manufacturers estimate chlorine usages based on size of pool in gallons, and rate their cells that way (in gallons). We recommend you go 2-3 times your pool size to match up with their stated size, but bigger is better. You can turn down the output of most SWCGs. Cells are typically rated for 5000-8000 hours of life at 100%.

Your other option is bumping up to shock level on Friday before you leave and hope all is well when you return. That's what I think most of the once a weeks pool services do.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

12. Back To Top    #12

I really would prefer to go with Hayward but my pool is 38,000 gallons and there is no way I m going to run the pump 24/7. I usually run the pump about 9 hrs a day....I know other companies make larger units, I just dont trust them...the idea of supplementing with Bleach is interesting but sort of dfeats the purpose....Thaks for the reply

13. Back To Top    #13

Depending on how you look at the cell size...

TFP is about easy pool care, and at the same time, keeping it econimical. Using SWGs size 1 /2 - 3 x the size of the pool is a more long term econimical way of implementing a SWG.

The 40K may keep your pool chlorinated at the appropriate level. And all things being equal as an example, it may need to be set at 100% output to do it. Whereas a larger cell could run at 60% and produce the same amount of chlorine in the same amount of time.

The longer you have to run the cell, or at higher output, the more quickly it will eventually wear out and need to be replaced.

A 40K cell may last you 3 or 4 years according to the manufacturer and they probably use 100% as their factor. A 60K could likely stretch out to 6 or 7 before the cell needs to be replaced

So, we recommend to look at the long term financial cost of expected cell replacement, then make the decision that's the best fit for you.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

14. Back To Top    #14

Lots of folks here with Circupool and Pentair SWGs who are happy with them. I'll throw a +1 for Pentair. I will not hesitate to order another Pentair cell when this one fails. Mine is starting season 5 and has been outstanding. I was even able to maintain a SLAM at 28ppm FC last summer with almost no bleach.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Hmmm..maybe I'll look at pentair then...agh..thought this was an easy decison...I realize that a smaller cell wont last as long. Im OK with that, but dont want to run my pump 24/7. I dont suppose you could retrofit a standard pool motor to a variable speed?

16. Back To Top    #16

I went the whole 9 yards and did complete automation with an Autopliot system. We love it. Just throw in the robot one a week and the pool is clean and shiny. The unit has been running since early March and it's keeping the FC between 3.5- 6.5 ph at 7.45- 7.52 with the Temps going from the 60s to the mid 80s. We running in ORP mode and the pump runs from 9 am to 9 pm at 1750 rpms. Before we swim I'll turn the pump speed up to 2250 to get a little better skimming action. It has made pool care sooo easy.
    25K,IG Vinyl + 25 yrs, Sand Hayward 244, Jandy E 1.5 var, AutoPilot Total Control SWG, Hayard Tirger Shark cleaner, Lamotte WaterLink Spin & K-2006 FAS-DPD test kits

17. Back To Top    #17

ckk81,

you have a 36K pool with a Hayward 40K unit and a single spped pump. How often are you running your pump and how much Chl is you system making per day?

Thanks

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRJGR View Post
    Hmmm..maybe I'll look at pentair then...agh..thought this was an easy decison...I realize that a smaller cell wont last as long. Im OK with that, but dont want to run my pump 24/7. I dont suppose you could retrofit a standard pool motor to a variable speed?
    Yes, replacement VS motors are available.

But, there are also some less expensive VS pumps on the market, here is one.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001 sunplay.com
    Pentair SuperFlo VS 1-1/2 HP Variable Speed Pump (220V ) - 342000 - INYOPools.com

Also, if you become a TFP supporter you get a discount coupon from INYO pools. More here, CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach