Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine problems

I am new here and just found this website a few days ago when I was having issues getting my pool clear upon opening. Here is a background on the pool.

I have been a pool owner for years and have never had trouble getting my pool chemicals balanced. This winter my winter cover fell in and all the leaves and pine needle found there way to the bottom of my pool. So I started shocking the pool and filtering. But my filter would only run an hour before being clogged and needed back flushed. I went through a bag of earth trying to get the pool clear. It was clear enough that I could see the mound of leaves in the center of the pool, so i started raking all the leaves and pine needles out of the pool. Went to the local pool shop to have water tested, they told me phosphates were way to high and that was consuming my chlorine and sold me Phosfloc. Followed the instructions and everything worked great. During this procedure is when i found this website. Yesterday I swept out the PhosFloc and now my pool is crystal clear. But my filter still clogs after about an hours and I can not keep chlorine in the pool.

Once I found your website (Monday Night) I ordered a good test kit (Taylor K-2006 Test Kit)and that will be here tomorrow. But until I get the test kit is there anything anyone can suggest about my filter and why I can not keep chlorine in the pool? I have dumped probably about 15 pounds of shock in this pool and within a couple hours its all gone!

Love the website and will be following this site and using the suggested chemicals instead of the pool store chemicals.

Thanks
    Pool - Above Ground 24' Round by 52" Deep
    Filter - Hayward EC40C92S
    Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Chlorine problems

Welcome to TFP

You have found the best and worst of DE filters, they work great, but when you have algae and gunk in your pool they clog/fill very fast.. You are doing the only thing you can, when the pressure rises 25% that is when you backwash and recharge..

Have you taken the filter apart and deep cleaned all the DE grids yet?

Until you receive your K-2006 just put 1 gallon regular bleach from walmart in per day and filter and brush the pool.. You will continue to watch the filter..

Once you get your test kit post up your numbers so we can get you going
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Algae consumes chlorine very quickly, but maybe not that quickly. It could be ammonia. Add a gallon of 8.25% generic unscented NOT splashless bleach to the pool with the pump running and brush the pool. It will raise FC by 6 ppm and test in 10 minutes. If it is 0 or close to 0 repeat until the FC holds at 5ish.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

What is the shock stuff you've been putting in?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

So after work (5 pm) I back flushed the pool then added 2 gallons of bleach and brushed the entire pool. Almost 2 hours later I've lost most of the chlorine but pump has been running the entire time and has not clogged yet. I get my test kit tomorrow so I can get real numbers and not just dipping a test strip in the water.
    Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

Please tell us what the stuff was you put 15 lbs of in. Of course we will know when you get your test kit, but it would help to have a full picture of your situation sooner than later.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Before I found this site I put 15 lbs of granulated shock it comes in 1 lbs bags at my local pool store. Today I switched to Bleach and I am waiting for my test kit to get here tomorrow so I can get real numbers.
    Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

8. Back To Top    #8

So, it is probably dichlor, but maybe trichlor (low possibility) or cal-hypo. It would still be good to know which it was, but we will know soon.

9. Back To Top    #9

here is a link to it on amazon. I did not purchase from amazon but this is the shock i was talking about.

Amazon.com : Poolife TurboShock - 1 lb. : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Yup, cal-hypo.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

11. Back To Top    #11

So I got my test kit today. Here are my readings.

FC - .5
    CC - .5
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 110
    CYA - 0
    Temp - 70 degrees

Worse than I thought. The dang pool is crystal clear. So what do I need to do first.

Thanks
    Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

12. Back To Top    #12

I am new to this as well, but based on my reading on here, you need to add CYA....one of pros on here will be with you shortly on that process. I have plenty (too much maybe) CYA in my pool, so I don't have this.
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

13. Back To Top    #13

Yeah. I'm on my way back from store got Cyaniric acid, bleach and Borax. Hope that is all I'm gonna need for now.

Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

So what do I need to do first.
    Have a working knowledge of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. That's our beginning Bible and will help you get balanced out.

I would not necessarily raise pH just yet. pH has a tendency to rise naturally in many, many pools and your may find it's way to a 7.5 sweet spot just by leaving it alone.

Chlorine is a consumable item so you will need to replenish it often.

I am leaving you only partially answered because we really want you to dig in and learn the TFP way of doing things. You will be a pro in a surprisingly short time and your water will look perfect!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks duraleigh. Right now getting the test all done in a quick amount of time seems to be the hard part right now. I guess I will get quicker at it.

Pump - Hayward 1HP Pump
    Test Kit - Taylor K-2006