Don't want to use tablets again, but...

trevorfl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
I was visiting the pool store for suggestions and to buy supplies. The result, last September my CYA was 120+ and I started developing algae problems.

I discovered this forum and learned what I was doing wrong. Oh, well, live and learn. Thank you for the people here who helped me.

I have an automatic chlorination for tablets. Don't use it anymore. Only liquid chlorine. I managed to get my CYA down to 60. Not bad for Florida. Now I have to pay attention to the CYA levels so I can kept it in the 60's. The pool is clear and perfect.

Here is the question:

I still have plenty of tablets. If my CYA is getting low can I add only one tablet to the automatic chlorinator and leave number of the chlorinator to the minimum of 1 or maybe .05 so it can dissolve slowly? Or it is really not recommended? I am checking my numbers everyday. So I can adjust accordingly?

Thank you all for your help.

If you need to raise CYA and you already own the pucks, use 'em up! We're not opposed to pucks under all conditions. Sometimes they're just what you need. As long as you know what you're adding, use them.

I like to let my CYA dip a little from backwashing and CH reduction, so I have room to use pucks in a floater while I'm gone on vacation.

I was visiting the pool store for suggestions and to buy supplies. The result, last September my CYA was 120+ and I started developing algae problems.

I discovered this forum and learned what I was doing wrong. Oh, well, live and learn. Thank you for the people here who helped me.

I have an automatic chlorination for tablets. Don't use it anymore. Only liquid chlorine. I managed to get my CYA down to 60. Not bad for Florida. Now I have to pay attention to the CYA levels so I can kept it in the 60's. The pool is clear and perfect.

Here is the question:

I still have plenty of tablets. If my CYA is getting low can I add only one tablet to the automatic chlorinator and leave number of the chlorinator to the minimum of 1 or maybe .05 so it can dissolve slowly? Or it is really not recommended? I am checking my numbers everyday. So I can adjust accordingly?

Thank you all for your help.
How did you get CYA from 120 to 60? Need to know. Thanks.

Tablets add chlorine. They are acidic, so they lower PH/Alk. They have CYA, so that slowly rises. Understanding what using tablets do to your pool is winning the battle. Because of the offset of what they do to the pool, its what makes them more costly than using the TFPC method.

How did you get CYA from 120 to 60? Need to know. Thanks.

It was a long process. I drained the pool but not much. Also, just remembered now. The 120 reading was from a pool store. When I got the Taylor k-2006 kit the cya was actually like 100. I forgot about that until now. We all know how wrong pool store testing are.

In FL rain a lot during the raining season. Every time the pool was full I "wasted " some water and I think that helped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tablets add chlorine. They are acidic, so they lower PH/Alk. They have CYA, so that slowly rises. Understanding what using tablets do to your pool is winning the battle. Because of the offset of what they do to the pool, its what makes them more costly than using the TFPC method.

Thank you. Will maintain the TCPC method. After all this work I don't want to mess with the CYA again. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.