Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't want to use tablets again, but...

1. Back To Top    #1

Don't want to use tablets again, but...

I was visiting the pool store for suggestions and to buy supplies. The result, last September my CYA was 120+ and I started developing algae problems.

I discovered this forum and learned what I was doing wrong. Oh, well, live and learn. Thank you for the people here who helped me.

I have an automatic chlorination for tablets. Don't use it anymore. Only liquid chlorine. I managed to get my CYA down to 60. Not bad for Florida. Now I have to pay attention to the CYA levels so I can kept it in the 60's. The pool is clear and perfect.

Here is the question:

I still have plenty of tablets. If my CYA is getting low can I add only one tablet to the automatic chlorinator and leave number of the chlorinator to the minimum of 1 or maybe .05 so it can dissolve slowly? Or it is really not recommended? I am checking my numbers everyday. So I can adjust accordingly?

Thank you all for your help.
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Don't want to use tablets again, but...

If you need to raise CYA and you already own the pucks, use 'em up! We're not opposed to pucks under all conditions. Sometimes they're just what you need. As long as you know what you're adding, use them.

I like to let my CYA dip a little from backwashing and CH reduction, so I have room to use pucks in a floater while I'm gone on vacation.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I like to let my CYA dip a little from backwashing and CH reduction, so I have room to use pucks in a floater while I'm gone on vacation.
    Thank you. Good suggestion. Will kept it on mind.
    15K gallons, Plaster, Taylor K-2006C & TF-100, DE, non SWG, Hayward TriStar VS variable pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by trevorfl View Post
    I was visiting the pool store for suggestions and to buy supplies. The result, last September my CYA was 120+ and I started developing algae problems.

I discovered this forum and learned what I was doing wrong. Oh, well, live and learn. Thank you for the people here who helped me.

I have an automatic chlorination for tablets. Don't use it anymore. Only liquid chlorine. I managed to get my CYA down to 60. Not bad for Florida. Now I have to pay attention to the CYA levels so I can kept it in the 60's. The pool is clear and perfect.

Here is the question:

I still have plenty of tablets. If my CYA is getting low can I add only one tablet to the automatic chlorinator and leave number of the chlorinator to the minimum of 1 or maybe .05 so it can dissolve slowly? Or it is really not recommended? I am checking my numbers everyday. So I can adjust accordingly?

Thank you all for your help.
    How did you get CYA from 120 to 60? Need to know. Thanks.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Tablets add chlorine. They are acidic, so they lower PH/Alk. They have CYA, so that slowly rises. Understanding what using tablets do to your pool is winning the battle. Because of the offset of what they do to the pool, its what makes them more costly than using the TFPC method.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Don't want to use tablets again, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    How did you get CYA from 120 to 60? Need to know. Thanks.
    It was a long process. I drained the pool but not much. Also, just remembered now. The 120 reading was from a pool store. When I got the Taylor k-2006 kit the cya was actually like 100. I forgot about that until now. We all know how wrong pool store testing are.

In FL rain a lot during the raining season. Every time the pool was full I "wasted " some water and I think that helped too.

7. Back To Top    #7

Makes sense. I'm dealing with "pool store " CYA " now and it's a fight to the finish. I'm going to win.
    14,000 Gal, InGround, Spa Attached, Satin-Matrix Northshore Tahoe Pebble-Tec, Remodel 6/15, Taylor K-2006 Kit, Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump, Polaris 280 Sweep, Jandy CL460 Cartridge Filter, Solar Heated. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frankhugus View Post
    Makes sense. I'm dealing with "pool store " CYA " now and it's a fight to the finish. I'm going to win.
    Just out of curiosity, what are your CYA numbers?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    Tablets add chlorine. They are acidic, so they lower PH/Alk. They have CYA, so that slowly rises. Understanding what using tablets do to your pool is winning the battle. Because of the offset of what they do to the pool, its what makes them more costly than using the TFPC method.
    Thank you. Will maintain the TCPC method. After all this work I don't want to mess with the CYA again.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by trevorfl View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what are your CYA numbers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hanging at 150 and keeping FC above 10. It's a long story but I'm determined to win.