1-4 ppm FAC before adding CYA?

Jul 9, 2015
Pittsford, NY
I opened my pool a few days ago, and immediately dumped in four gallons of liquid chlorine to initiate the kill of the swamp-like appearance. As I took more tests today, I noticed my CYA is very low (below 20), and went to go buy some. I noticed that the bottle says to get the FAC level between 1-4 ppm before adding. Since I am currently SLAMing, my FAC is above 10. Is there any reason that I can't add CYA with the FAC at this level? Is there a detrimental effect that will prevent it from working? Thanks!

I didn't want to start another CYA thread, so I will ask my 2 questions here.

What is TFP recommended ideal CYA range? I see many numbers here.

Secondly, I see it recommended to put the CY acid in a sock in the skimmer.

I dissolve mine in a pail of water and when completely dissolved, I pour it evenly all around the pool.........is my method ok?

thanks

1. Depends on your climate/sun. I don't know much about yours, but in the US people in Phoenix/Las Vegas/Florida run 50-60, people in the North East might do 30ish. Here in SC once it gets full summer (which is now I guess) I plan on 40ish.

2. If you really got it dissolved that's fine. I find that to be very difficult to do.

Last edited:
Seemed like the first time I dissolved it in the pail, it worked ok but the last time I tried it, it clumped up and I don't think it was ever going to dissolve, I put a strainer over the summer and poured it in then put on latex gloves to squash the lumps by hand.........I will use sock next time

It's a PoolLife product. Didn't make much sense to me, but still wanted to check.
I will call them and see what their reasoning is. More an more, TFP seems to be an accurate guideline for many standards. Maybe someday, they will look to us to set the guidelines.:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.