Continued Sand Filter issues or Hidden Algae Outbreak

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
So once again, I struggle with a "clear pool" yet I have a TON of dirt/hidden algae/pollen etc....that keeps it from being crystal clear.

FC 7.0
CC 0.0
CYA 70 (overshot a little but I have automated dosing via a stenner so I am not too worried)
PH 7.4
TA 90

I continually pass the overnight test, last night was 7.5 at 7 pm then at 6:30 AM 7.0

if CYA was not so high I would slam, but getting to 28 PPM will cost a few more dollars if I am chasing nothing.....

Dumb question, but is there any other way to know for sure if I need to SLAM or if my continued (perceived) Sand Filter issues prevent me from having crystal clear water.

I backwash and get no green water...

I also am not consuming excess FC, just about 2 - 3 ppm daily.

Two things consume FC: sunlight and organics. You've eliminated sunlight. Assuming you remembered to shut off the stenner during the OCLT, you've also ruled out organics. That leaves filtration issues.

Have you tried Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter ? Sand can clump and then get broken up into clods when you backwash and they may not settle down right. That leaves wide gaps for the water to sneak through unfiltered. It's called channeling. Give that a go and see how it works for a week.

If you've already tried that, then try Adding DE to a Sand Filter

Thanks for the follow up...

I did Deep Clean end of last year, and this year before I started the sand felt and looked fine....I guess I could try again as I did backwash this year a few times.

I also added some DE, filter pressure increased by 1 PSI with only 1/2 cup, so we will let that run as well.

I guess a SLAM could not hurt, but I will continue to monitor and report back. Thanks again!

I'm with FPM....I don't think it's SLAM-worthy just yet.So, this is visual evidence? It's not clear to me what you are seeing.

Good question....so last year, after ultimately using slim bags to clear up my pool, I could literally read a quarter taped to the shallow end wall from the deep end (33 feet away)....I did this with an underwater camera that I zoomed.

This year I hoped normal filtering could get me clear....but it isn't. The water is SUPER CLEAR to the average person, but my TFP eyes said it is not, plus my quarter test fails.

So I am not sure if my filter is once again not working right (replaced a ton of parts chasing this last year) or I have a minor hidden algae outbreak.

I did a overnight test last night and I lost 1 PPM of FC, which to me is a bit concerning....yet no trace of Algae or greenness, etc.

My filter pressure (with a bit of DE) also rose from 15-20 last night, so something is going on. When I backwash NO GREEN, just normal dirt.

I wonder if a low level SLAM would help, or is that worthless and should I just knock it up to 28 PPM, problem is I am heading out of town, so I won't be able to SLAM till next week....

Plan is to continue to add DE and FILTER 24 hours to see if this does anything, then when I head out of town set the Stenner to error on the HIGH SIDE of my average lose of 2-3 PPM per day and the when I get back re-evaluate. Does this sound like a solid plan, or any other questions - please ask!

So I backwashed after running with DE again, and this time I see a slight hint brown/green dirt in the backwash. Algae or not, who knows.

I would SLAM, but heading out of town....

Water is beyond clear....numbers all in line.

Will OCLT again tonight.....

Hi toofast.....I also live in NE Ohio. Based on your specs and location, I think we share the same pool builder. If I am correct, you have a Thursday pool. Regarding clarity, I struggled with that last year and only fixed it by going all the way to 30 ppm chlorine for about 36 hours. CYA was only 30, so this was an aggressive move, but it worked. I haven't had a problem since. Prior to that I tried adding DE to the filter, cleaning the filter to mend any channeling, testing for phosphates, balancing to CSI of 0, etc. I was extremely frustrated and it was my high school son who convinced me that we had an extremely aggressive form of algae. It didn't cost much to SLAM, as it took 3-4 gal of 12.5% chlorine ($2 per gal on sale at Marc's!).

Once the algae was gone, it was so clean that I couldn't get the chlorine down in order to swim....had to resort to adding hydrogen peroxide to neutralize it. I was able to see clearly tiny grains of sand sitting on the bottom after I was done.

Hi toofast.....I also live in NE Ohio. Based on your specs and location, I think we share the same pool builder. If I am correct, you have a Thursday pool. Regarding clarity, I struggled with that last year and only fixed it by going all the way to 30 ppm chlorine for about 36 hours. CYA was only 30, so this was an aggressive move, but it worked. I haven't had a problem since. Prior to that I tried adding DE to the filter, cleaning the filter to mend any channeling, testing for phosphates, balancing to CSI of 0, etc. I was extremely frustrated and it was my high school son who convinced me that we had an extremely aggressive form of algae. It didn't cost much to SLAM, as it took 3-4 gal of 12.5% chlorine ($2 per gal on sale at Marc's!).

Once the algae was gone, it was so clean that I couldn't get the chlorine down in order to swim....had to resort to adding hydrogen peroxide to neutralize it. I was able to see clearly tiny grains of sand sitting on the bottom after I was done.

I'm glad you were able to clear your pool, but we would never advocate taking a SLAM to that level with only 30 CYA. Even mustard algae only requires 18 Ppm for 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey good morning...yes I think we do share the same builder. Where you the customer that came over before you built to check out his work ? Either way, nice to meet you (or meet you again)

Yeah I think I slipped once early spring....SLAM is starting today. Oh, and thanks' for the Marc's note....I found the same stuff, great deal!

- - - Updated - - -

When you backwashed you removed all that DE you added, so perhaps that was the brown you saw fly by in the water?

Yeah, unsure....but I am still getting OCLT of 1 PPM and then after heavy swimming I get a CC of .5, so I will start a SLAM today and then see what happens next.

After bringing to SLAM levels today, it is 8:30 PM and I consumed nearly 10PPM of FC today....so for sure SOMETHING was going on.

I was able to swim around 6 PM and the water was already noticeably clearer underwater from end to end. Even though most lay people would not understand! :cool:

My gut says I will pass OCLT tonight, but I might stay at SLAM another day just to make sure.

Keep it up until you pass the OCLT. We learn our pools and know when something is not right. I has a "senior moment" last year and had my Stenner chlorine pump turned off for 5 days while we were out of town. When I got home I discover the non-existent chlorine and immediately added it. Over the next week the water was still beautiful but I was using more chlorine than usual. An OCLT proved something was growing in the water.

Trust the testing, even if you have a clear pool. Kill it now and kill it dead.

Ok, so now I am p*****d

I guess first a question, I held FC fairly strong during the day, when I tested 9:45 PM there was a storm about to roll in. All night it rained, and this morning I lost more FC than before, down 2 PPM.

My pool is clear of course still...

Could the rain itself cause that, and do I really need to SLAM another day ?

Ok, so now I am p*****d

I guess first a question, I held FC fairly strong during the day, when I tested 9:45 PM there was a storm about to roll in. All night it rained, and this morning I lost more FC than before, down 2 PPM.

My pool is clear of course still...

Could the rain itself cause that, and do I really need to SLAM another day ?
I generally look at it that it is better for a SLAM to last a day or two longer and get the problems behind you. It seems that folks who have recurring problems are the ones who are a little too quick to end the SLAM.

Make sure it's dead and gone.-

When I had to SLAM back in March due to my own laziness/stupidity, I almost quit too early. It ended up taking 6 days longer than when I was tempted to stop the SLAM. There was something that continued to consume the chlorine overnight - even after what seemed like a good OCLT. My FC levels were into the high 20s and even a small change in sample size can throw off the DPD test when you need to use 50 drops.

Haven't had a problem since then and I'm glad I heeded the advice here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.