Continued Sand Filter issues or Hidden Algae Outbreak

When I had to SLAM back in March due to my own laziness/stupidity, I almost quit too early. It ended up taking 6 days longer than when I was tempted to stop the SLAM. There was something that continued to consume the chlorine overnight - even after what seemed like a good OCLT. My FC levels were into the high 20s and even a small change in sample size can throw off the DPD test when you need to use 50 drops.

Haven't had a problem since then and I'm glad I heeded the advice here.

Yeah so that is part of my issue in my head....with 50 drops a tiny speed up or down can make a HUGE difference.

9 PM was 54 drops, 5 AM 51 drops, that is 1.5 PPM change. I test again and I get two drops, test a third time and get 3 drop difference again. I wish for these big SLAM's I could use something else besides drops.

Thus the SLAM continues.....

By the end of my slam I was doing double tests and averaging the results along with trying to be very consistent and diligent with my testing procedures. Even a small difference in the sample size can make a difference in the results. I'd bet the thickness of the line on my test tube is worth at least .5 ppm at the 25 FC levels.

I will start by saying that if money was not object to me, I would be calling a company to rip out my pool.

OCLT 1.5 PPM

Honestly, I am more and more convinced that for whatever reason in my pool there is something else going on....if anyone remembers, we went to great lengths last year with me and a similar problem. To the point that chemgeek and others began to think that perhaps something else besides Algae can consume FC.

The conclusion was IFFY, but there was some thought that Pool Antifreeze that I put in my lines MIGHT be the culprit. The test from the lab was sort of "inconclusive", but hinted that something might be going on.

I am heading out of town again, so the SLAM will have to end today no matter what, but I guess it was worth trying yet again.

Not sure what I will do next week, perhaps just let the pool consume MORE FC known to man and pray for winter to close the pool

Honestly, I am more and more convinced that for whatever reason in my pool there is something else going on.
What do you think that might be? Far too often, I see folks think there pool has some special ingredient that makes it behave unlike any other pool......there isn't.

FC is consumed in your pool by algae (or other organic material) and UV rays from the sun. Once you start a hypothesis that there are other forces in the universe, you get derailed from your issue.....which is minimizing FC loss and the timely replenishment of it.

What do you think that might be? Far too often, I see folks think there pool has some special ingredient that makes it behave unlike any other pool......there isn't.

FC is consumed in your pool by algae (or other organic material) and UV rays from the sun. Once you start a hypothesis that there are other forces in the universe, you get derailed from your issue.....which is minimizing FC loss and the timely replenishment of it.

Because of the testing we did at a lab with the help of chemgeek last year...it seems that Antifreeze and the oxidation of it consumes FC (or at least that is the theory).

How else can a perfectly clear pool, that NEVER had a hint of Algae in it lose FC overnight for months on end....

Yeah so I totally understand....and I honestly thought SLAMing would fix my issue...(not really, but I forgot the pains of previous years).

Does it really make sense to SLAM for a month straight with perfectly clear water....should I take my water up to 3x-4x normal SLAM levels, what harm might that cause. If the Antifreeze needs "burned" off, will higher levels make it go faster, previous experience says no.

So I am really just bummed yet again...and really have no idea what to do, other than nothing...since my pool is clear, I have no Algae and who cares if I can't pass an OCLT.

Do you still lose 1.5 ppm no matter the FC level? Will it go down from 6.0 to 4.5 overnight as well?

So great question, this year I have to say I don't know YET....

When I get back from my trip, I will be below SLAM of course and I will let my FC trickle down to match my CYA. At that point I will be able to answer....I certainly hope it does not, but if history repeats itself, it most likely will, at least until I burn off the dang Antifreeze residual.

Stay tuned....as I know this FORUM does not really like when SLAMing does not work, but there may be a few rare cases that it does not, and last year at least a few of us proved that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.