Vinyl Liner wrinkled walls

KE1997

May 24, 2016
Groveland IL
I'm having a issue with loose "wrinkles" in the side walls of my vinyl liner pool. The liner in areas is loose on the walls. I thought I had it figured out multiple times but could use some advice. I installed the pool myself staring in the fall of 2013. Filled it in the spring of 14. Rey proud of the fact that we had installed the liner with no wrinkles 1/2 of the pool is complete I ground with a paver patio. The other half is for the most part completely above ground. The 1st year I was doing the pool store thing,buying 3" tabs and lots of algicide,clarifier,etc....I discovered TFP and started uing Clorox/baking soda/borax the TFP way. I use the TFP pool math calculator to determine my chemicals.

This leads to my first conclusion of why the walls are wrinkling. The CYA was through the roof,over 100. I spent last summer 2015 slowly replacing water. According to pool math I kept the FC around 11. I managed to get the CYA to 90 by the end of the summer. After some research I realized this could be the cause of the wrinkles. However I was able to remove the wrinkles with a roller and toilet plunger. I could
work them to the bottom and would not come back for a couple weeks or more. The wrinkles were localized to a couple locations on the wall so I assumed if it was the high FC I would have them everywhere.

Conclusion 2. In the spring of 2015 we had a storm and a cherry landed across a portion of the pool. That isn't a good feeling to look out at your pool and see a tree laying across it. It broke some of my coping in a couple places but other than that I didn't see any issues. A couple weeks later I discovered a pinhole in the side wall I'm guessing from the tree. This was one of the areas I had wrinkles. I patched it and rolled the wrinkles out. The wrinkles went away for the most part of a month. I was now sure it was all caused by water between the wall and liner. By the time I was closing it last year I was consistently getting wrinkles so again started wondering about chemicals causing it.

Opened this spring,about three weeks ago. Wrinkles still there but not worse. Started using the pool CYA down to 80 so Keeping FC in the 8 range. Wrinkles have gotten worse than ever over the past couple weeks. Rolling them out is no longer working. Discovered some water behind the liner and wall next to the skimmer. So back to thinking I could have some small leaks.

Im to the point I'm looking to replace the liner but want to make sure I know the cause before throwing a new liner at it.

Currently
FC 9
PH 7.4 I have never had to raise ph. Always have to add acid to lower
TA 120. My TA usually ranges from 80 to 120. Typically have to lower PH and areate to keep it there. I have a waterfall,slide and 2 kids so aerating isn't tough.
CYA 80
pool temp 80-84

1st time poster. Sorry for the book. Help would be appreciated.

Welcome out of the shadows to TFP :) So glad you posted

It really sounds like water got behind the liner, I have not seen a liner get wrinkling from chemicals, not saying it could not happen but they would have to be really out of whack...

With water behind the liner, do you have a sump pit outside with a pump to get the water out, I doubt you do. once the water is there and has nowhere to go it can continue to fill and go away leaving the wrinkles after the water goes away...

How to solve this problem, perfect timing if you want to change the liner out... here is a great diagram on a sump pit, just think pool instead of basement.. some have just dug a hole outside the deep end and installed a pipe with rock and a sump pump in the bottom to get the water away from the inside wall.. It might be a DIY, but most have a company do it..
Sump Pump Installation Toronto - 416-252-5557

Your PH is raising all the time from you TA being so high, if you take your PH to 7.2 and when it hits 7.4 bring it back down to 7.2 your TA will go down, try taking TA to 70 and see how your PH does

I hope this helps :)

I would think I would be seeing other issues if the chemicals were out of whack enough to wrinkle the liner. I installed a perimeter tile when I installed the pool. Since the pool is in a hill a portion of it is completely out of the ground. I wouldn't think I would be trapping water in there. I did seal the joints in the wall panels well so I thought it could maybe be trapping a small amount of water. The pressure of the water lower in the pool is pressing the liner against the wall enough to not allow that water to drain? If I have a leak its not very large because I'm not seeing water loss.

Thanks for for the advice. I'll try lowering the TA as you suggested

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.