Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool ownership, and TFP. I have a few questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool ownership, and TFP. I have a few questions.

Hi TFP,

I bought a house with a pool last year. This is the first time ever owning one. I have a few questions hopefully you might have some answers.

First some info. My pool was constructed in the early 60's. It is a Wood walled sand bottom vinyl lined old lady. The dimensions are 18X34 ranging from 4-7.5. The liner was replaced sometime between 2003-2010 (we think closer to 2008). It has a Hayward sand filter (150 lbs), and a Hayward super pump. There is one skimmer, one return jet, and no main drain.

I bought a Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD test kit. My current numbers were (prior to starting a Liquid chlorine shocking regimen)

Pool Test 5/19/16
    FC 5
    CC <.5
    PH 7.7-7.8
    CYA 40
    CH 70
    TA 100

My questions are

How can I tell if the wood walls are still ok, and what are some common warning signs they are not?
    My pool gets sun at least 6 hrs a day (might be closer to 8) is my CYA ok for the amount of sun (I live outside Pittsburgh PA)?
    Should I be concerned about no main drain, and lack of water rotation in the deep end?
    Any additional tips for a Newbie?

Thanks in advance!
    Mrputts

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool ownership, and TFP. I have a few questions.

Hello Mr. Putts, and welcome! To answer your specific questions:
    - I suspect wall support would be #1. If they were to fail, the liner would begin to collapse. You would know it.
    - CYA might be good for now. As summer gets closer and the sun higher, watch your FC usage. If you exceed 4 ppm in a 24 hr period, and you know you have no algae present, it may be time to increase CYA to 50 for that added FC protection.
    - No main drain - no problem. I don't have one either. Your skimmer will do most of the work anyways. Use a skimmer sock!

You already have a great test kit - so thank you. Continue to maintain those great numbers above and think you're in for a great swimming season.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

+1 on the skimmer socks, I use hairnets from amazon you get 100 of them for about $6 HERE. Just so you know if you are following the TFP method and maintaining at least the minimum FC level for your CYA based on THIS chart you don't need to shock the pool it will stay algae free indefinitely. bumping up the FC slightly higher from time to time will not hurt anything but it is not needed and we like to keep things simple.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for replies!
    I will pick up the skimmer socks as soon as I am able.

@atttech-2 I am shocking the pool because my deep end is green. The rest of the pool is looking ok. I raised the FC to 16 according to the pool calculator and the chart you linked. I did not test it before it got dark , but I will test it tomorrow in the morning.
    25000 gal, inground, vinyl, sand filter Hayward 150lbs, Hayward superpump, build 1960's, Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome neighbor. I'm just south of tha Burgh in Washington Pa.

Brushing your pool on a weekly basis will definitely help with any dead spots since you don't have a main drain and 1 skimmer.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mrputts View Post
    I am shocking the pool because my deep end is green.
    If you have algae even a little bit You want to read THIS and especially the instructions for SLAM in that post. Defeating algae is a lot like trying to get rid of ants, you can kill the ones you see but if you don't kill them all they will be back.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

7. Back To Top    #7

Checking back in pool is clear, Chlorine loss over night was .5. Skimmer sock is on. What is a safe chlorine level for swimming? My wife wants to swim tonight when she gets home. Also there will be an 8 month old baby involved.
    25000 gal, inground, vinyl, sand filter Hayward 150lbs, Hayward superpump, build 1960's, Taylor 2006 FAS-DPD.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can swim as long as the FC is not over your SLAM level for your current CYA. Last I recall your CYA was 16, so anything below that is fine.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!