Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Indoor pool leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Indoor pool leak

I have an older indoor pool that's been leaking for a while now. At first I thought it was evaporation. It started to leak more back on Feb/March - it'd lose about 0.75" every 24h. At the same time I noticed air in the pump that would not go away. I'd turn the pump off and in a matter of a few months it lost most of the water. So I drained it to about 2 feet of water and it continues to leak. In my view, the only possible leak sources would be the three floor outlets with returns and drains. There are there total - two in the deepest section and one on the opposite side. I have removed and reinstalled the rubber plugs on all three and filled it with about 1ft of water to cover the bottom - it still continues to leak. I've tried pouring water with die around the outlets yet I can't see any water movement indicative of a leak. Is is possible that it's leaking though the concrete, even though there are no visible cracks? Would the pressure test be the next logical step? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I was trying to attached are a few pics of the outlets but the system doesn't let me.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: Indoor pool leak

Your at the limit for posting pictures through TFP unless you want to donate..

Did it stop leaking at a certain level? when it stops that is where the leak is, well just above it
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't wait until the leak drained it completely, but it kept leaking past the skimmers. The only obvious (to me) potential leak sources are in the floor of the pool that includes the three floor suction outlets and what it appears to be a hydrostatic pressure valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

That is enough water loss to confirm the leak. especially since it's indoors. The problem is then, "Where is it?"

Can you let it leak on down until it stops? (that'll be the level of the leak and you should be able to find it from that.)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

This doesn't make sense to me but it's now been two days and the level of water hasn't dropped and it coincides with the two consecutive warm days this season (75-80F) after several weeks of wet and unseasonably cold weather. As a background, since I've had the pool I noticed that during the winter months I'd be losing significant amounts of water then it would stop when the weather got warmer it would stop. I'd add water and be OK for the most part during the warm months here in PA. In the the early month of this year it looked like I was losing more water than previously though, which prompted my investigation. Now. I'm confused as the leak seems to have stopped. What would be a correlation between indoor pool leak and outside temperatures? My house sits on a sloping hill if that makes any difference.