Water Feature Upgrade Help

Apr 30, 2013
Chicago IL
Need help, suggestions, advice on what to do with this water feature. I'm about to undergo a large overhaul of the pool. New liner, and patio needs to be re-layed/re-leveled. Disregard the mess as I'm getting the area ready for the season. I inherited this pool, all it's choices, and all it's problems with the house purchase.

So this water feature 1. Really doesn't go and 2. Really has never worked. It's a plastic thing that just sits on a deck/patio that is composed of a lot of pavers and real hardscaping. It's also bowed and warped from sun/weather/age so that water would rather flow into the planter part than in the pool. Hence it's never really been used. It's main purpose in life has been to cover up the return line that feeds it that protrudes from the the pool deck. I can disconnect it with a union under it.

Since I'm about to have the pavers redone I have an opportunity to do something here. Looking for suggestions. Build something out of real pavers and do a bench or planter with sheer decent or similar?, Deck Jets?, Laminars look to be too much effort and cost for minimal effect. Cut off the pipe under the ground and abandon it all together and move on?? I have access to the line at the pad that I could just plumb without it.

Open to ideas or recommendations. If I were to ever do something with this now is the time. Something classy that doesn't look like an after thought for sake of having a water feature.

20160524_165543_zpspdgskbwq.jpg

Do you *want* a water feature? Do you have problems keeping your pH in check?? Water features can cause high pH.

Do you like hearing water trinkling down the side? Lots of folks like the sound.

Does a water feature just take up deck room and make a tripping hazard? Skip it entirely.

Lots of small pools are getting a lot of rocks put down in small piles....some seem overwhelming to me but that's just my opinion.

You gotta decide what you want and want to pay for. How about a nice fire pit instead where the table is now?

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I could go either way with or without.. There's merits to both if done right. The wife thinks with and I'm plumbed for it to some degree. My main requirements are for it to look nice and not cost a gazillion dollars in the process. I'm not into the pile of rocks on the edge of a basic pool look. If it tied into a whole backyard of themed landscaping that's another story. Like if it was something that was tied into that wall but it doesn't. The best I can come up with is essentially reproducing what's there in concept but make it permanent and out of real material and blended in as in part of the patio redo. Or sink some jets into the ground when they pull the bricks up. In the end it won't be used every day. Seems like a waste to abandon the plumbing but perhaps that's the best choice? Going for a classic timeless look.

The only water feature I'd want is a water cannon.

Otherwise, lose the slide and cap the plumbing and use the space for a bar or something.

Never thought of the slide side and it's removal. It doesn't fit great either. The kids love it though for now. But when it breaks or the supports rot out I'll probably nix that as well. That table is there temporarily. Usually there are recliners there.

On the planter/waterfeature.. I guess I'm looking at this as an opportunity I don't want to miss if there is something creative that you guys may think of that I haven't. Hey I've got a return line in my deck... what should I do with it?

Great ideas I love it. That's what I love about this place. The well of combined experience here is priceless.

For your consideration. Stainless Steel Fountain Accents might be an easy Install? Classic & Time Less, maybe, if you like the Spa Look!

Attachments

• Stainless .jpg
    Stainless .jpg
    22 KB · Views: 33
  • Stainless Steel Fountain Accents.jpg
    Stainless Steel Fountain Accents.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Stainless Steel Fountain Accents 2.jpg
    Stainless Steel Fountain Accents 2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 33
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.