Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thank you from a chemist

1. Back To Top    #1

Thank you from a chemist

As a chemist (physical organic chemistry, undergrad teaching professor), and a new pool owner, I can't begin to describe how beneficial this forum is as a resource for getting the pool chemistry right. I only wish I had found it earlier! I've now spent more time correcting my own mistakes than swimming, but now that it is very much close to perfect, I'm so glad to have done it this way.

I'd especially like to thank chem geek, whose original contributions to the field regarding the relationship of free chlorine and cyanuric acid, and constant contributions to this forum give it the scientific validity that I was looking for.

Since the equilibrium constants have been known since the 70s, it astounds me that literally millions of pool owners have been wasting time and money with these incorrect pool store methods, and with poor results to show for it. How are the pool stores and pool chemical supply industry able to ignore something as simple as the idea of cyanuric acid building up over time?? How many pool owners are surprised to find algae even when they have free chlorine after they've been using pucks in the skimmer for years (like the previous owner of my pool)?

Anyway, now that I have something to show for my efforts, I hope to start answering questions and helping others out too. Nice to meet you all!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thank you from a chemist

(I like this guy already). Welcome to the forum!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the positive comments.

While the science has been known for a long time, no one has a vested interest in informing the public. In many ways it's an area where money talks....
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Now to work on a signature - I've actually never taken the time to inventory the exact model names of everything. It should be a good exercise.

5. Back To Top    #5

Always nice to be the one who is smiling .... \

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Red!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Let me add my welcome to the others, and hope you stick around. It is always good to have another person that is willing to jump in and understands chemistry when the technical doubters show up.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad you found the forum. Welcome!

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

My thoughts exactly Phenol Red! No one mentioned that tidbit. After many years of trichlor, guess what happened?! It all makes sense now. Finally! Thanks to TFP!
    17 x 34ft, 23,800 gallons, Anthony & Sylvan 15year old, Gunite/Plaster. 60sq ft. Pentair DE filter, 1 hp Whisperflo pump, pressure side cleaner (ray-vac)
    Taylor K-2005 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Fantastic post.

This should be required reading for any new member before they can post.

Pin this post to the top!!!!!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

12. Back To Top    #12

You know how it is. People are inherently gullible. They hear what they want to hear. They go to the pool store and enjoy being told there's a magic fix. I have been face-to-face with friends and I try to explain to them why the pool store method is wrong, and their answer is typically "but you aren't a professional".

So, can we identify the fallacies?
    Confirmation bias
    I'd say appeal to authority, but it's actually false authority
    Appeal to popularity

Any more fit the "pool store" method?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

By the way, I'd also like to give a HUGE shout out to Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log which has been huge in getting everything under control for me.

How gratifying is this???

30k gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward 300 ft2 cartridge filter, 1 hp pump, Hayward 250k btu natural gas heater

14. Back To Top    #14

Hi Red,
    Its always nice to have someone with a good background in chemistry to enjoy and participate here at TFP.
    Great looking pool you have there, and those numbers look pretty good too!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

15. Back To Top    #15

Welcome and great to have you here. Thanks for the link to Jesse's, I hadn't found that yet!!!
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners