Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Think Numbers Are Good - Are They?

1. Back To Top    #1

Think Numbers Are Good - Are They?

So after a lot of rain and some wildlife taking their last swim of their short lives, checked my pool hoping numbers are where they should be. While I was testing I heard one of my son's friends ask him "I thought your dad put chemicals in the pool that changed color if I pee in it". Kids....

FC: 3.2
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 80
    CH: 300
    CYA: 70
    SAT: -0.1

Thanks.
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Think Numbers Are Good - Are They?

Without using a SWG, your Fc is nowhere near in line with your CYA level. Please see the chlorine/cya chart in Pool School.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Should target FC dictate CYA or the other way around?
    2004, 22.5K Gal., 36x18, IG Gunite, 2HP Hayward Pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Raypak 406 NG Heater, Dolphin Supreme M4 Robot, Automatic Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Climate dictates CYA. CYA dictates target FC.

If you live in the southwest and the pool is in blazing sun all day long, you want a high CYA. If the pool is indoors, a very low CYA is adequate. Maybe it's time you added your location?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good point. Done.

Retesting now in case there was human error.

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested again same numbers with minimal difference.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I would suggest lowering your CYA down to 50 and holding FC around 3-5 ppm.....that's pretty close, but the FC/CYA chart is closer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, got around to addressing my high CYA. I drained about 12-14 inches of water, much to my wife's chagrin. Re-filled. Tested CYA, still at 70

Do I continually drain and replenish?