Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl Pool Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Vinyl Pool Calcium Hardness

Just wanted to double check my information...I'm still trying to unlearn everything the pool store taught me:

The pool store told me that calcium is optional for vinyl pools, but adding calcium hardness increaser extends the life of the pool pump. If I'm understanding pool school and the TFP forums, I'm pretty sure I can translate this to "extends the life of my pool store" and assume that I never need to add calcium...

Is this correct?
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl Pool Calcium Hardness

Ignore them and extend your wallet instead!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You are correct!

You also don't need a weekly shock, nor do you need algaecide or phosphate remover or filter cleaning solutions, or new sand. As you're discovering, pool maintenance is pretty darn troublefree when you have a little understanding and a test kit. Easier on the wallet, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, I see! What finally closed the deal for me was when the pool store guy told me that it was impossible to get an at home test to check CYA and CC. He said home kits only test PH and Total Chlorine.
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit