6/28 UPDATE - Continuous Issue with Algae

Re: Continuous Issue with Algae

As long as you have some CYA in there, an elevated FC is fine. While I wouldn't place a bet in Vegas on the pool store test of 80, you probably do have a good amount in there - if not even higher. So using the calculator to program for and increase FC to about 8 is just fine. Great to hear you have the TF-100 on order. You will be pleasantly surprised when you get it.

Re: UPDATED WITH TEST - Continuous Issue with Algae

Greetings!

Just got back from vacation, and my test kit had arrived, so here's the results:

FC = 5
CC = 1
Calcium Hardness = 500
Total Alkalinity = 60
CYA = 80
Chrlorine = 6
PH = 7.5

I would greatly appreciate your professional interpretation of these results...The test kit with the Speed Stir is AWESOME!!

Thanks!

If you're seeing algae and you have a CC of greater than 0.5, that means it's time to SLAM your pool.

You'll have to elevate the FC quite high since your CYA is at 80. See the Chlorine/CYA chart in my signature as well as the SLAM procedure. It would be easier to SLAM the pool if your CYA was a bit lower, but with limited spots of algae rather than a green swamp you can likely complete the SLAM without doing a partial drain to lower CYA if you choose.

For a non-SWG pool like mine, your CYA of 80 requires an FC target of about 9 and never below 6. Because your FC dropped, your CC is above 0.5 (currently 1), and you've had an on-going issue with algae, it tells me your pool needs a SLAM (link below). I would definitely increase FC right away with regular bleach to "31". Follow the SLAM page instructions to the letter until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria and you should see better results, especially now that you have the proper test kit. :) Hope that helps.

60 is fine. The key is ensuring it helps to keep the pH steady. So as long as your pH isn't rising or crashing low too fast, you can leave it alone. Mine runs at 50-60 all the time. In fact, since your CH is a bit elevated, the lower TA also helps control your CSI and health of your plaster. :)

Re: LATEST TEST RESULTS - Continuous Issue with Algae

OK, I wasn't able to test the pool yesterday, but tested it today, and I currently have an FC of 8, and a CC of .5. The pool is currently algae free, and the water crystal clear. Thoughts on moving forward?

It's really your call now. A few days ago your CC was elevated and we recommended a SLAM and performing an overnight (OCLT) test to be sure algae was not present since not all forms of algae are visible to the eye. Your FC of 8 is just under the required FC target of 9 based on your CYA of 80, so I'd be careful about it dropping any further. Our concern, and we've seen it many times, is that folks don't complete a SLAM by passing all 3 criteria only to have the algae return shortly thereafter. The difference now is you are armed with a fantastic test kit, so you can check those levels any time day/night. If you lose more than 4 ppm of FC in a 24 hour period (excluding heavy bather's load) or the water changes for the worse, then you know you have a problem and need to SLAM. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OK, I'll test the water again tomorrow and check the FC level...If it has dropped by 4 or more, I'll conduct the SLAM procedure...

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, one other quick question; how long must I wait before testing the water once bleach is added? For example, if I added bleach now to bring up the FC, how long should I wait to test the water, so I can conduct another test in the morning to determine FC loss?

Thanks!

You should really perform an OCLT to determine if you have algae or other organics in the pool

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

If you fail the OCLT you should SLAM.

Just because you don't see the algae, does not mean there are no algae spores, or bacteria, in the water. The OCLT will tell for sure.

Dom

Thanks...That's what I plan to do...I added bleach earlier today, and just tested the water...The result was FC at 10, and CC at 0...I'll test the water in the morning again...

Thanks...That's what I plan to do...I added bleach earlier today, and just tested the water...The result was FC at 10, and CC at 0...I'll test the water in the morning again...
Your starting FC test should be after the sun is completely off the pool & very low on the horizon.

Your morning test should be before the sun is up and on the pool.

Good luck, eagerly awaiting the result.

Dom

I tested the water last night after sunset, and FC was 10, CC 0. Testing the water this morning before sunrise, I have a FC of 9, CC 0. As I understand it, since my FC loss is low, then there is no need to SLAM the pool at this time, but I just want to be sure.

A question if I may....I understand that with a CYA of 80, the FC needs to be kept at 9 or above. If I'm at a 9 this morning, there will of course be a loss during the day due to the sun, so should I bring up the FC this morning to keep it from falling below 9 during the day? If so, how much of a loss can I expect during daylight hours, which will give me an idea of a target morning FC?

Thanks!

Thanks! Rather than bringing it up this morning, I'll leave it as is, and test it this evening, which I would imagine should give me some idea of my daily loss.

Would it be common practice to add bleach daily to maintain FC at ideal levels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.