no pressure with aftermarket cartridge

nlindelldc

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2015
Corpus Christi, Texas
I have a bit of weird situation going on and I "think" I have it figured out but just wanted to confirm with everyone here.

I have a cartridge filter (in my sig), and with the OEM Hayward cartridge clean and pump on high, it runs right at 14 PSI. When it gets to 20 I clean it.

I bought an aftermarket filter (Pleatco) and with it clean and my pump on low, the pressure does not even register (literally, zero). When I switch the pump to high, I get bubbles in the pump chamber and still not very much pressure (can't remember exact reading, but less than 2 if I recall right).

I believe that the Pleatco filter is so non-restricting that on high the pump cavitates and introduces air into the system (bubble coming out of returns also). This DOES NOT happen with my OEM filter on low or high.

Thoughts?

I am not a cartridge guy but pump cavitation is not your problem.
I believe that the Pleatco filter is so non-restricting that on high the pump cavitates and introduces water into the system (bubble coming out of returns also).
do you mean "air" into the system or "water"

I am not a cartridge guy but pump cavitation is not your problem.
do you mean "air" into the system or "water"

Yes, sorry, meant air and not water.

And I also forgot to mention that it's not a suction side leak either because I just had a pressure side leak repaired and when they were done they pressure tested everything and it was good. Like I said, it only does this with the aftermarket filter and only with the pump on high

That is good, not bad. Mine also has 0 pressure when running my VS pump at 1100 rpm. Run it on high for a bit to clear the air and then it should be ok?

That means you have an air leak. The pressure on full speed should be at least 10 PSI or higher.

Just because they pressure tested, doesn't mean you don't have an air leak it only means you don't have an air leak in your plumbing. The pump can still have an air leak because they can't pressure test that.

Check the pump lid gasket and drain plugs for cracks. If they look ok, add a little pool lube to the gaskets and that should clear up your problem.

Also, check to make sure the pool level is high enough and the skimmer weir is not stuck.

That means you have an air leak. The pressure on full speed should be at least 10 PSI or higher.

Just because they pressure tested, doesn't mean you don't have an air leak it only means you don't have an air leak in your plumbing. The pump can still have an air leak because they can't pressure test that.

Check the pump lid gasket and drain plugs for cracks. If they look ok, add a little pool lube to the gaskets and that should clear up your problem.

Also, check to make sure the pool level is high enough and the skimmer weir is not stuck.

check, check, and check. I've already done all of that. Maybe it is the pump itself. It's only a year old

You might have a crack in the housing somewhere. If you look in the pump basket, does the air look like it is coming from the pump inlet?

Did you also check the pump unions, if you have them, to make sure they are sealed well.

The air is coming from somewhere, it doesn't magically appear.

You might have a crack in the housing somewhere. If you look in the pump basket, does the air look like it is coming from the pump inlet?

Did you also check the pump unions, if you have them, to make sure they are sealed well.

The air is coming from somewhere, it doesn't magically appear.

I can't tell where the air is coming from when it's on high like that. What you're saying makes sense. I need to check the housing and unions, haven't done that yet. If there is a leak, it is super tiny.

No chance it could be the pump cavitating? I've only read about that while searching

Maybe I'll try taking a video, see if you guys can see where the air is coming in

Cavitation doesn't create air in the pump basket. Cavitation is caused by very low pressure and creates vapor bubbles (water boils) inside the impeller and as the water flow pushes these bubbles toward the outer portion of the impeller where the pressure is higher, the bubbles implode. This is what causes damage to the impeller and why no cavitation vapor bubbles can exist outside of the impeller. With a pool pump, you can only hear cavitation but never see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Cavitation doesn't create air in the pump basket. Cavitation is caused by very low pressure and creates vapor bubbles (water boils) inside the impeller and as the water flow pushes these bubbles toward the outer portion of the impeller where the pressure is higher, the bubbles implode. This is what causes damage to the impeller and why no cavitation vapor bubbles can exist outside of the impeller. With a pool pump, you can only hear cavitation but never see it.

This is excellent information, thank you. Will keep looking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.