Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I want to learn the BBB way

1. Back To Top    #1

I want to learn the BBB way

I want to learn the BBB way I just bought a 15' x 36" Best way steel pro frame pool I don't want to use chlorine I want to use bleach I don't know how much and how often I need to shock the pooland for a pH increase or I can use Borax but I just don't know how much to use and how oftensame goes for alkalinity I can use baking soda but like I said I just don't know how much can anybody help me please

2. Back To Top    #2

Dallas, TX

Re: I want to learn the BBB way

Welcome to TFP! Don't get too caught up in "BBB", because many people never need borax or baking soda, such as me.

Start with Pool School in the top right corner.

One thing you'll need to get familiar with is PoolMath.
    Pool School - PoolMath
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Hello and welcome to TFP! Definitely visit the Pool School page (link also below in my signature). From there you will see a couple pages that are very important for you to know. Below in my signature you will also see links to pages that tell you WHAT you need to add and HOW MUCH of something to add. Go slow, take it one step at a time, and ask questions whenever you need to. Lots of folks here are ready to help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Hey there Xiomy Always good to have another Georgian in the house.

Good plan on using bleach (which is chlorine in liquid form) on your new pool. But most important is having a good test kit so you'll know what your chemistry levels are and where you need to be.

We trust only two- the Taylor K-2006 kit (it *must* contain the FAS-DPD test, not just a DPD test) or the TF-100. The former you can get sometimes at Leslies and Amazon, but a cheaper source for both tests is The TF-100 runs about $70, but will save you beaucoup in the end.
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter

5. Back To Top    #5

Land O Lakes, FL

Get the kids if they're referring to I just started just a few weeks ago with a brand new pool as well and pretty much have the hang of the basics now. it's not nearly as difficult as it's made out to be by others not on this forum.
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6
    Yakima, Washington

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the pool! You've found an amazing site with insanely cool experts. Like they said, get reading! Ask any questions you have, but don't be suprised if we answer with a link that already has a detailed answer! That being said, everyone eventually finds something that no one has asked before
    16' x 39' Oval AG Vinyl, 16-17k, Pentair Sand Dollar sand filter, single return, doughboy powerline, stand alone FAS-DPD test, hth ph & oto. New to Yakima, WA and sand filters.

7. Back To Top    #7

Albany ny

If you live in an area where you can buy chlorine it's probably more cost effective and convenient ( twice as strong=less to pour) I'm paying $13 for 5 gallons. Call around... Some places sell it as a loss leader. Only downer is while at the pool store watching everyone get hosed. Stick to the methods these guys preach and you'll have the nicest water in the neighborhood !!
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100