Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter gauge needle in wrong place

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter gauge needle in wrong place

Just had my pool opened yesterday and I noticed the filter gauge needle didn't move when I turned on the pump. It looks to me like the needle is on the wrong side of the pin, so the pin seems to be blocking the needle. Is this fixable or do I need to order and install a new gauge?

22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Filter gauge needle in wrong place

I'd just get a new one. The ones at tftestkits.net are very nice and not expensive at all. I get nothing out of suggesting them, I just prefer them myself.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

That generally happens when the valves freezes or is otherwise junk. No way to repair with any confidence of accuracy. I second the TFT gauge per personal preference.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

A 3rd for the TFT gauge, all the major brand pool gauges are junk that die after a couple of years, invest in a quality gauge and it will last you a long time. I personally don't have one of the TFT gauges, but that is only because I already had a quality gauge before they started selling them.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

It's gauge time. If you can change a light bulb, you can change a gauge. You'll need a wrench and some teflon tape, but the actual mechanics are pretty much identical.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

You must have gotten water in the gauge's bourdon tube last summer which did not drain when you winterized. The water froze and stretched the tube which caused the needle to bottom out on the stop pin on the high pressure side. There is no way to fix it.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, I'll order a new gauge first thing tomorrow. Thanks, everyone!
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.