Intex SWG failing - again

jmcdtucson

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 12, 2014
Flagstaff, AZ
Pool Size
My chlorine levels have been dropping but the pool is sparkly clean. SWG is not raising levels at all. OCLT is negative. CC is 0.
Today my FC in the morning was 2.5. Yesterday it was 5, the day before it was 7. That is with running the SWG 4 hours. I usually need only 2-3 maximum.
I measured the FC at the outlet and it's 4.5. Hardly enough to raise or maintain chlorine levels.
The cell is free of hard water deposits.

This same thing happened last year and I replaced the SWG and it fixed it and has been working until now. Are these Intex SWG's just garbage and only good for a year? My credit card doubles the warranty so I should get a new one for free but this just seems unacceptable to have to replace it every year.

I consider myself lucky if I get 2 full years out of one. But you can get a replacement cell directly from Intex for $69 the last time I checked.

All things considered, that's not a bad deal.

The intex puts out about .63 pounds of chlorine gas a day and that will add 9.4 FC per day in 24 hours

So that will add 0.39 FC per hour it is running or 1.5 FC the 4 hours you are running.. so that almost matches exactly what you are seeing/losing

Why they are making more when they are new I am not sure about..

To stay ahead of your chlorine loss you would need to run about 8 to 10 hours and that would put you at 3 to 4 FC per day..

I hope this helps :)

The intex puts out about .63 pounds of chlorine gas a day and that will add 9.4 FC per day in 24 hours

Thanks! I checked the math and you are spot on - never thought of actually calculating it out.
Now to test the theory. It'd be weird if it produces so much more during the first year then drops down exactly to spec!
Maybe I'll run on boost till it dies, or upgrade the SWG. I'm not excited running my pump 8-10 hours per day! I guess I could just kick out the $69 per year for a new cell too. Probably save that much on electricity just running my pump 2-4 hours per day like I usually do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.