Fighting what I think is mustard algea

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
I have a 24 x 16 above ground doughboy pool, and ive left it open all winter here in the dallas,tx area. Ive noticed a month ago what I thought was sand to poss be mustard algea, I performed the yellow out last week, and shocked every 12 hours until instructions were completed. I brushed everyday, I also had all equipment in the pool to sanitize as well. It really seemed to work great, for I had a lot of white clouds on bottom of the pool, which after treatment, I vac'd all of it out to waste..I could tell it was still working days later, for you could see little white clouds still killing the potential algea,but now its back to that brown / yellow look. It seems to come back in the same spots. Its not bad, but still irritating. My pool is vinyl, so I dont want to shock too much, and weaken vinyl...Do I need to perform the yellow out again? calling for rain next two days, so wait? My readings from last night are below:

ph=7.5
cl=10
alk=90
cya=50

It sounds as though you might be combining a pool store technique with TFP. We don't treat algae of any type here with Yellow Out or any other pool store product - just regular bleach. Good-old Bravo from HEB or Great Value from Wal-Mart among others. What you want to do is perform a TFP "SLAM" first (link below). Once you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, THEN you increase FC for 24 hours to the mustard algae level. For a SLAM your FC level should be 20 to match your current CYA of 50. It's safe for vinyl, but must be maintained to kill all the algae.

My wife picked up HTC Kit at the end of last season, for we didn't have the pool only for like 5 weeks before it turned to cold. I was using test strips, but wanted a more sophisticated test kit, and she picked one up while shopping. Im looking to get the Taylor test kit this week..

Suggestion ... if you order the Taylor kit, make sure to get the Taylor K-2006C. The "C" model has more reagents. Also, I highly encourage ordering the "Speed Stir" from TFTestKits.com. Mix like a pro which also helps with consistent testing. I can't live without mine. Have a nice day.

thank you so much for all your help...im also going to stock up on my BBB'S products this week as well...and try and get rid of the algea...Its not bad, but just in several spots, so hoping to get under control before full blown bloom

My pool is vinyl, so I dont want to shock too much, and weaken vinyl.
That's not a valid concern. FC has essentially no impact on your pool material.
im also going to stock up on my BBB'S products this week as well..
Don't buy anything you don't need just yet. Get your valid test results published and then we'll help you decide wht chemistry you need.

Last, I really want to encourage you to stay out of the pool store. Yellow Out is a troublesome product and there advice is troublesome as well.

Well I did go back up there just to get water tested and see how it compares to mine..again, im using the HTC test at the moment until I purchase the taylor kit..below is what pool place readings were at Lesley pool..

FC-4
TAC-4
CH-225
CYA-65
TA-80
PH-7.8
TDS-800
PHO-300

And I still have a few spots looking like mustard algea..ill post pics

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.