trouble priming my pump

Rasahn

May 23, 2016
cincinnati/oh
I'm a 2nd year pool owner (18,500 gallon in-ground) and when i went to open the pool this year I've run into the problem of my pump wont prime.

I've tried cleaning the skimmer basket, opening and closing the water intake valves in various ways, tinkering around with different parts of the system.... and I'm stumped. The motor still runs and water is taken into the impeller once i cut the system on, but the priming basket never fills back up from the pool side. Once i cut it off the motor off the water spills back into the priming basket (idk if that's the right name for it or not lol).

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. I don't trust the pool store people anymore or i'd call them. They seem to only be interested in selling me chemicals.

Thanks

pictures attached (terrible condition)

Attachments

• IMG_7732.jpg
    IMG_7732.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7730.jpg
    IMG_7730.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 35
Two things come to mind (hello by the way :wave: ) ..... partial blockage or air leak. But I'm curious about the following as well:
- Last winter I'm assuming did you winterized correct? Did you disassemble the pump, filter, or anything else?
- Did you plug and winterize the plumbing lines at all?
- Did you clean the filter this spring before turning it on?
- Does the pressure gauge change at all?
- Have you already checked the pump strainer basket O-ring and lubed it good?
- I can't quite tell from the pic, but is the water level a bit low? It should be 1/2 - 3/4 up the poolside skimmer opening.
- Any chance you may have a blockage in the suction line from the pool to the pump?

Lots of initial questions I've tossed back at you, but give it a bit to process and see if any of these may appear suspect and let us know.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

So the answers are:

I winterized when i closed by blowing the lines out with an air compressor, antifreezing the skimmer, capping the holes in the pool, and pulling the drain bolts from the pump.

I did clean the filter and I bought a new one but havent installed it yet because i cant get the system running so didnt want to install it. I did have it running at first for about 24 hours. I added chlorine and algaecide to it and let that run. When I cut the system off to clean the skimmer basket and clean the primer basket... I havent got it running since.

The water level is mid-skimmer

I'm wondering whether or not i have a blockage somewhere because it seems like it

I just dont know what i dont know... so i can't come to any sound conclusions or no how to fix the issue.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

It sounds like a suction side air leak might be preventing the prime. Read about them in an Article in Pool School and see if that helps you.

Post back and let us know.

One thing I would pursue since you mentioned it (system) was working fine initially until you shut it off.... check your suction line between the skimmer to the pump. Maybe you sucked something in there. You might be able to push a garden hose into the pump strainer basket water inlet (going back towards the pool), wrap a rag around it to try and retain pressure, and turn-on the water. See if you can push anything backwards towards to pool in case there is a partial blockage. Have someone watch by the poolside skimmer to see if any water is coming back from the garden hose. And just because you did clean the old filter, maybe consider taking it apart again just to make sure it looks okay inside. Make sure to inspect that pump strainer basket O-ring really good as well. Oh, and what does your pressure gauge look like when you try to run the system? Higher, lower, no change?

I will try those things. The pressure gauge was at about 4 before when it worked for a day. now when i try it it doesn't move much. Barely at all. I'll try it again this evening and look at the gauge specifically and see it it moves at all.

I wish i could upload a video to show you what happens... oh well

Headed to look at the Pool School articles as well

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.