Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Return flow

1. Back To Top    #1

Return flow

This is my first year for the pool, it is about 6-7 years old and was in the house I just purchased. I did some research and bought new pump and filter and plumbed everything with 2 inch pvc. Pool is quite dirty and I am about to start Slaming. But My question is if I start pump at pretty much any speed, I have tried all different speeds. I get a nice flow of water coming out of pump making the water swirl around pool. A couple hours later it seems like nothing is coming out of return, Pump settings haven't changed, cartridge pressure has not raised much but does raise a little. If I take cartridge out and clean, I get same good flow of water out of it and then couple hours later slow again. It is making me clean cartridge multiple times a day because I feel like it is not working correctly. Is pool just that dirty, or is something else occurring. I have tried turning up speed and priming incase there is air getting in, but that doesn't help. Also on the pump strainer, it goes from water splashing all around in there, to I can see the water slowly flowing out of pvc piping into the pump. Thanks in advance.
    17000 gallon semi inground pool, hayward super pump VS, Hayward 175 ft cartridge filter, 24 ft of head.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Return flow

Cartridge filters do an excellent job of filtering. Sounds like your filter is doing its job, but you have a very dirty pool with lots of suspended material to remove. It's just going to take a lot of cartridge cleaning to get things cleared up.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yep, I agree with JV, you are filtering Very well and that's the problem.

What does your water look like?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

That is kinda what I thought, I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something else. The house was a foreclosure and the pool had not been attended to for probably a year or two. It had a lot of leaves and branches in the bottom. I have cleaned and vacuumed for the past week, and water is starting to clear a little. Thanks guys, I plan to SLAM this weekend.
    17000 gallon semi inground pool, hayward super pump VS, Hayward 175 ft cartridge filter, 24 ft of head.

5. Back To Top    #5

Everyone else seems to have it covered! Your cartridge(s) are doing their job well!
    Above Ground 30' by 54" 22,600
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter w/ 1.5HP Dual Speed Hayward Powerflo Matrix Pump
    TF100 Test Kit
    BBB ALL the way!
    Questions about pool care? Visit Pool School