Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex 20' Setup Issues?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex 20' Setup Issues?

Had 5 great years with a 16' Intex Ultra Frame. Took it down every fall and setup every May. Had no problems with setup and leveling (<.025" level).

Decided to upgrade to a 20' Intex Ultra Frame this year and starting the stress about the setup. Had the excavate more of backyard for this setup. Placed pavers under each of the feet. Finally got it filled this weekend and noticed that it is about 1" off from being level. The new pool has the white band with the hoops (legs on outside) and no restraining rope on the bottom. Also noticed that one or two of the plastic buttons on the horizontal T-joints have slipped in slightly.

Is being 1" out of level an issue?

Should I be concerned about the new Intex leg/hoop/NoRope setup? Do I need to add restraining rope?

I cant imagine the plastic buttons serve a structural purpose - I had always thought they were just to help hold together for setup. Is the button being recessed a sign of frame pulling apart? Is that even possible when filled with water?

Will post pics in a few ...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex 20' Setup Issues?

From everything I've read here, 1" is considered level and is fine. You should be good as long as it's not significantly over 1".
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

3. Back To Top    #3

see attached
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (20.6 KB, 119 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (21.3 KB, 119 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (20.5 KB, 117 views)

4. Back To Top    #4

Pics will definitely help, but I agree with jmcdtucson about 1" out of level should be fine.

As for the plastic buttons, you might take pictures over several days to see if they slip any more of if they are going to stay put.
    18 X 34 AGP 7ft deep end, 22,300 gallons. 250lb sand filter, 2 speed 1.5 hp pump. TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

As hard as it is to pull the pieces apart when the button is pushed it, you should be okay, as long as the pieces themselves are in the correct place.

Also, the tiles in the pattern on my 26' are not even the whole way across, so of you use that as a guide for whether you are level or not, it will appear off when it isn't. I found this out when my pool got filled all the way to the gray with rain. It made me look at the pattern the whole way around once the water level was down. At the seam there was a 1 tile difference.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

6. Back To Top    #6

more pics ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (20.3 KB, 116 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (16.0 KB, 114 views)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    As hard as it is to pull the pieces apart when the button is pushed it, you should be okay, as long as the pieces themselves are in the correct place.

Also, the tiles in the pattern on my 26' are not even the whole way across, so of you use that as a guide for whether you are level or not, it will appear off when it isn't. I found this out when my pool got filled all the way to the gray with rain. It made me look at the pattern the whole way around once the water level was down. At the seam there was a 1 tile difference.
    Im glad you mentioned the tile thing. Both times setting ours up this year made sure everything was level. We all the way around the frame checking level at every leg and the middle of every top bar. Nothing more thn maybe 1/2 inch off. But yet filling the water level is a tile off from one side to the other.
    Intex AG metal frame vinyl sides 10,400 gal. 3000 gph intex pump with 16" sand filter
    My Slam

8. Back To Top    #8

That pool looks fine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

It would not hurt to put a restraining rope along the bottom of the legs. Better safe than sorry.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

10. Back To Top    #10

You could always get 65' of rope and make your own leg restraint. Not sure why Intex stopped sending those, seems like a pretty good safety feature to prevent blowout.

As far as the white push button, I think they are really there to assist with install. Anyone who has taken theirs apart knows that it isn't that easy to get the first piece out. That should be a non-issue for you.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I've
    seen worse, and still standing
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

We have a intex 24 ft round and we are curious how to use the restraining rope?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.