Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Chlorine Chart

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Chlorine Chart

Is there an optimal CYA number that results in the clearest water at the lowest cost? For example, is it better to maintain CYA of 30 and the matching FC level, or move CYA to 40 and maintain a FC level that is higher? Is there an advantage either way?

Thanks!
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA Chlorine Chart

In your neck of the woods it may be better to have your CYA at 40, with that said it depends on how much sun your pool gets all day..

the advantage is when your pool has more sun the higher CYA keeps more FC protected and it ends up using less chlorine even though the FC is kept higher...

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

The FC/CYA chart is designed so that the ratio (FC/CYA) is always the same , 7.5% for manual bleach dosing and 5% for SWG pools. So every recommended level has the same active chlorine (hypochlorous acid) concentration. As Cowboy Casey said, you can just pick a CYA level that gives you the lowest daily FC loss from sun light (the biggest component of FC loss). In sunny locations with high heat, higher CYA is usually better.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

That answers my question. My pool gets constant sun, so I'm going to stick with 40! Thanks!
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If you still use more than you want to feel free to bump it to 50.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach